Finding the absolute maximum and absolute minimum

In summary, the conversation is about finding the absolute maximum and minimum of the function f(t)=t + cot(t/2) on the interval [pi/4, 7pi/4]. The individual has attempted to find the derivative, initially making an error but then correcting it. The conversation then moves on to discussing critical points and the graph of sin(x).
meeklobraca

Homework Statement

Find the absolute max and min of

f(t)=t + cot(t/2) on [pi/4, 7pi/4]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to find the derivative which I believe is

1 - csc^2 (t/2) * (t/2) which I can simplify down to cot^2 (t/2) * (t/2)

Even if that is correct, which I am doubtful of, where do I go from here?

Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think the derivative of t-cot(t/2) is 1-(csc^(t/2))*(t/2)? Better fix that before you try to proceed.

Okay I've found the derivative of t + cot (t/2) to be

1 - csc^2(t/2) * 1/2

meeklobraca said:
Okay I've found the derivative of t + cot (t/2) to be

1 - csc^2(t/2) * 1/2

That's much better. So do you have any critical points on [pi/4, 7pi/4]?

Here in lies the problem Dick. Where do you go from here?

im at sqrt 2 = csc (t/2) from which I've turned into sqrt 2 = 1/sin (t/2)

That's pretty good progress. Actually possibilities are at sin(t/2)=+/-1/sqrt(2). Can you draw a graph of sin(x) and tell me where sin(x)=+/-1/sqrt(2)? Then put t/2=x. I happen to know sin(pi/4)=1/sqrt(2).

1. What is the difference between absolute maximum and absolute minimum?

The absolute maximum is the highest point on a graph or function, while the absolute minimum is the lowest point. These points are also known as global maximum and global minimum, as they represent the overall highest and lowest values of the function.

2. How do you find the absolute maximum and absolute minimum of a function?

To find the absolute maximum and minimum, you must first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the critical points by finding the roots of the derivative. Next, evaluate the function at each critical point and the endpoints of the given interval. The largest and smallest values obtained from these evaluations will be the absolute maximum and minimum, respectively.

3. Can a function have multiple absolute maximum or minimum points?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have multiple absolute maximum or minimum points. This occurs when the function has a flat region, or plateau, where the function has the same value for a certain interval. In this case, all points on the plateau will be considered absolute maximum or minimum points.

4. What is the significance of finding the absolute maximum and minimum of a function?

Finding the absolute maximum and minimum points of a function can provide valuable information about the behavior and characteristics of the function. It can help determine the range of the function, the location of critical points, and the overall shape of the graph. This information is useful in various applications, such as optimization problems in mathematics and science.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the absolute maximum and minimum of a function?

While there are no shortcuts for finding the absolute maximum and minimum, there are some techniques that can make the process easier. For example, using a graphing calculator or software can help visualize the function and identify the maximum and minimum points. Also, understanding the behavior of basic functions, such as linear and quadratic functions, can provide insight into the general shape and location of the maximum and minimum points.