Find the absolute maximum for f(t) = -t^3 + 3t^2 + 400t + 5000

In summary, to find the absolute maximum for a given function on a bounded interval, you need to find any local maxima by setting the derivative equal to zero, use the second derivative to determine if they are maxima or minima, and also check the endpoints of the interval to see if they are also maxima or minima.

Homework Statement

Find the absolute maximum for f(t) = -t^3 + 3t^2 + 400t + 5000, t is between 6 and 20.

Homework Equations

f'(t) = -3t^2 + 6t + 400

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find this - when the function can be perfectly factored. Yet some problems occur here.

f'(t) = -3t^2 + 6t + 400

I normally factor to find minimum, but 400 divided by -3 = -133.33333~, meaning the answer will be approximate (technically) if I do that... Now the second derivative will come to something really easy, 6t+6... Can absolute maximums be found with the second derivative? If not, how can it be found here?

Physics news on Phys.org
939 said:

Homework Statement

Find the absolute maximum for f(t) = -t^3 + 3t^2 + 400t + 5000, t is between 6 and 20.

Homework Equations

f'(t) = -3t^2 + 6t + 400

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find this - when the function can be perfectly factored. Yet some problems occur here.

f'(t) = -3t^2 + 6t + 400

I normally factor to find minimum, but 400 divided by -3 = -133.33333~, meaning the answer will be approximate (technically) if I do that... Now the second derivative will come to something really easy, 6t+6... Can absolute maximums be found with the second derivative? If not, how can it be found here?

First, find any local maxima by setting f'(t) = 0. For your problem, use the Quadratic Formula to find zeroes. The second derivative can be used to determine whether critical points are maxima, minima, or inflection points.

A global max/min can occur and any of three places:
a) local critical points (at which f'(t) = 0)
b) points in the domain of f at which f' is undefined - not relevant for your problem
c) endpoints of the domain - very relevant for your problem

You're on the right track, but you need to set the derivative equal to zero to find a maximum. Even though it can't be easily factored, you can still use the quadratic formula to find your values of t. You'll use the second derivative to see if it's a maximum, minimum, or inflection point.

Remember that on a bounded interval you need to check the bounds to see if those are maxima too.

Thanks to both of you. Yes, the way to solve it was with the quadratic formula, 100%. My mistake :).

1. What is the absolute maximum value of f(t)?

The absolute maximum value of f(t) is the largest possible output that the function can produce. In this case, it is the highest point on the graph of f(t).

2. How can I find the absolute maximum of f(t)?

To find the absolute maximum of f(t), you can use a variety of methods such as graphing the function and identifying the highest point, or using calculus to find the critical points and evaluating them to determine the absolute maximum.

3. What are the critical points of f(t)?

The critical points of f(t) are the values of t where the derivative of the function is equal to 0 or does not exist. These points can help determine the location of the absolute maximum.

4. How do the coefficients of f(t) affect the absolute maximum?

The coefficients of f(t) affect the shape of the graph and the location of the critical points, which in turn can affect the absolute maximum. In this case, the coefficient of t^3 is negative, meaning the graph will be concave down and the absolute maximum will be a local maximum.

5. Can f(t) have more than one absolute maximum?

No, f(t) can only have one absolute maximum. This is because the absolute maximum is the highest point on the graph and there cannot be two points with the same y-value that are both the highest.