Finding the acoustic point in a valley

In summary, Allison is seeking advice on finding the "best" spot in a valley to hear sounds. She is unsure if this would coincide with an echoing point and acknowledges that factors such as wind speed, air humidity, temperature, ground elevation microtopography, and tree cover would affect the answer. She has provided elevation data and topographic ground measurements, as well as a sketch to illustrate her question. There is also discussion about the source of the sound and the definition of "best" in this context. Allison clarifies that most sounds would be randomly scattered within 10m from soil level and she considers the "best" spot to be where she can hear most of them at the same time, even if at varying intensities.
Alfreds9
Hello,

I have a practical problem, I'd like to find the "best" spot to hear sounds in a valley (forgive me if "acoustic point" isn't an appropriate term, I just couldn't come up with anything better and scrolling an acoustics text didn't help), or at least a non-blind spot (one which instead focuses on a relatively limited sector), to listen to as many sounds as possible. I am not sure if this could/would coincide with an echoing point.

I know this probably doesn't have have a precise answer or integral formula since factors such as wind speed, air humidity, temperature, ground elevation microtopography and tree cover would act as infinite variables, however I'd at least see what you do think and which tips I should follow to avoid the "worst" hearing spots.

I have elevation data of 30m resolution and topographic ground measurements, I know the tree cover from aerial pictures.

I drew a really crude sketch which if forgiven for my lack of drawing skills, could somehow better explain if I should look for a shallow point, an elevated one on the side, a really elevated one on the side or an elevated one in the middle (sketched just 3 example points since I couldn't clearly show supposed elevation differencies among them).

Edit: I forgot to add that most sounds would probably be randomly scattered both horizontally and vertically within 10m from soil level, possibly more densely distributed around a fixed point in the valley and mostly in the lower parts of the valley, within half of Hmax (maximum mountains height).

I'd consider "best" a point in which I'd hear most of them at the same time (even if obviously at different intensities due to various distance among them and me).Thank you

Allison

Ry0NMoL.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that's not a simple problem. The answer would be very sensitive to the exact shape of the terrain and its texture and cover.

Even the question of "best" is not easy to define. Echos provide more volume, but the time shifting might make the sound worse, not better. You'll have to define "best"

Likes Alfreds9
The real question is, where is the sound coming from? If it's from straight above, really high up, I would think all points are equally good (with slight preference to high points as they are closer to the source).
If the source is outside the mountain range but close to the ground, there's a chance only the bordering areas will hear anything.
If the source is somewhere inside the mountains, direct line of sight will hear a lot, whereas other places might only hear reflections.

Likes Alfreds9
anorlunda said:
Wow, that's not a simple problem. The answer would be very sensitive to the exact shape of the terrain and its texture and cover.

Even the question of "best" is not easy to define. Echos provide more volume, but the time shifting might make the sound worse, not better. You'll have to define "best"

rumborak said:
The real question is, where is the sound coming from? If it's from straight above, really high up, I would think all points are equally good (with slight preference to high points as they are closer to the source).
If the source is outside the mountain range but close to the ground, there's a chance only the bordering areas will hear anything.
If the source is somewhere inside the mountains, direct line of sight will hear a lot, whereas other places might only hear reflections.

Thank you for your replies.

You're right, I forgot to add that most sounds would probably be randomly scattered within 10m from soil level, possibly centered around a fixed point in the valley and they would be prevalently distributed in the lower parts of the valley, within half of Hmax (maximum mountains height).

I'd consider "best" a point in which I'd hear most of them at the same time (even if obviously at different intensities due to various distance among them and me).

Thank you

Allison

1. What is the acoustic point in a valley?

The acoustic point in a valley is the location where sound waves are concentrated due to the surrounding terrain and atmospheric conditions. This point is typically the lowest point in the valley and is where sound waves are most likely to be heard and reflected.

2. Why is it important to find the acoustic point in a valley?

It is important to find the acoustic point in a valley for various reasons. First, it allows us to understand the acoustic properties of the valley and how sound waves behave in that specific environment. Additionally, it can help in determining the best location for setting up sound systems or planning outdoor events to ensure optimal sound quality and clarity.

3. How is the acoustic point in a valley determined?

The acoustic point in a valley can be determined through various methods, including mathematical calculations, acoustic measurements, and simulations. It involves analyzing the surrounding topography, meteorological conditions, and sound properties to identify the location where sound waves are most concentrated.

4. What factors affect the location of the acoustic point in a valley?

The location of the acoustic point in a valley can be influenced by several factors, including the shape and size of the valley, the composition of the terrain, wind patterns, and temperature inversions. These factors can affect the way sound waves travel and interact with the surrounding environment, ultimately impacting the location of the acoustic point.

5. Can the acoustic point in a valley change?

Yes, the acoustic point in a valley can change due to various factors such as changes in terrain, weather conditions, and human-made structures. It is important to regularly re-evaluate the acoustic point in a valley to ensure accurate planning and sound system set-up for outdoor events.