Finding the applied force with theta, A, M, and Mu as givens?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Potatoe
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What must be the applied force (25 degrees above the horizontal) in order to accelerate a block at 1.1 m/s^2, if the mass is 2kg and the coefficient of kinetic friction is .3?

Homework Equations


F(net y)=Fn + Fav - W
Ff = μ x Fn
F(net x)=Fah-Ff

The Attempt at a Solution


I've substitued the variables in and gotten these:
2(1.1) - xsin25 + 2(9.81) = Fn
Ff = .3Fn
2(1.1) = xcos25 - Fn

How do I find Fn?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I'm not sure how to insert mu as a symbol or do subscripts
 
Potatoe said:
Sorry, I'm not sure how to insert mu as a symbol or do subscripts

Just copy and paste this symbol:

μ

where you need it, and to do subscripts or superscripts, just look at the toolbar at the top of the thread entry and you'll se a bold X with blue 2 subscript/superscript. It's near to big blue eye symbol and the TV icon!