1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the area enclosed by curves in polar form

1. Jan 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a)
    [tex]r=a(2+ cos(\theta))[/tex]
    Find the area of the region enclosed by the curve giving answers in terms of [tex]\pi[/tex]
    and [tex]a[/tex]

b) Show that the area enclosed by the loop [tex]r=2(1-sin(\theta))\sqrt{cos(\theta)}[/tex] is [tex]\frac{16}{3}[/tex] and show that the initial line divides the area enclosed by the loop in the ratio 1:7 [tex](\theta[/tex] is between [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2} and \frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]
    2. Relevant equations

[tex]
    A=\frac{1}{2} \int_{\beta}^{\alpha} r^2 d\theta
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

a) I tried using [tex]\theta=0, \pi, \frac{\pi}{2}, \frac{3\pi}{2}[/tex] as limits and adding the quadrants up but comes out to be the incorrect answer. (textbook answer: [tex]\frac{9a^2\pi}{2}[/tex])

b) I'm having a hard time integrating the [tex] cos(\theta)cos(2\theta)[/tex] part after squaring r. I know that one of the limits is [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] but I'm not sure what the other should be.

Thanks for your help,
    Charismaztex

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For (a) your limits should be from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

For (b), since [itex]\cos\theta[/itex] is negative on part of its domain, you want to use the interval [itex][-\pi/2,\pi/2][/itex]. I don't see any need for a [itex]\cos{2\theta}[/itex]. When you square r, you get some sines times a cosine, so a u substitution should work.

4. Jan 10, 2010 #3
    So what would be the best way to integrate [tex]sin^2(\theta)cos(\theta)[/tex]?

5. Jan 10, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

u substitution. Try [itex]u = \sin\theta[/itex]

6. Jan 10, 2010 #5
    Ahh yes, that worked fine! so I've got the area to be[tex]\frac{16}{3}[/tex], what intervals do you recommend (the part I normally struggle with) to calculate the separate area in order to get the ratio?

7. Jan 10, 2010 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem itself says "show the initial line" divides the area. I take that to mean the x axis. Try it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook