Finding the Area Under One Arch of a Cycloid: Where to Start?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mmont012
Messages
39
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the area under one arch of the cycloid
x=a(t-sint), y=a(1-cost)

Where do I start?

I could divide both sides by a and get
x/a= t-sint cost=1-y/a

If this is the case, how should I deal with x/a=t-sint? I need to get them into the form of sint=... or cost=... right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mmont012 said:

Homework Statement


Find the area under one arch of the cycloid
x=a(t-sint), y=a(1-cost)

Where do I start?

I could divide both sides by a and get
x/a= t-sint cost=1-y/a

If this is the case, how should I deal with x/a=t-sint? I need to get them into the form of sint=... or cost=... right?
First, don't panic.

Second, don't do anything to the original parametric equations to make them unsuitable for finding the area under the curve.

Third, how do you find the area under any given curve? What integral expression would you write? What does this integral expression look like after you substitute the parametric expressions for x and y?
 
(taking deep breaths)...

Can I use the ∫(from α to β) of 1/2 r2?

I also have the relationships: x=rcosθ and y=rsinθ

Since my parametric equation is in terms of t am I able to say x=rcost and y=rsint?
 
mmont012 said:
(taking deep breaths)...

Can I use the ∫(from α to β) of 1/2 r2?

I also have the relationships: x=rcosθ and y=rsinθ

Since my parametric equation is in terms of t am I able to say x=rcost and y=rsint?

No. Those are parametric equations alright, but they are not polar coordinate equations just because they have sines and cosines. Look at SteamKing's post #2. To help you, you should be able to find a couple of ##t## values where ##y=0##. That should help you find one arch of the cycloid.