1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find verify solution to differential equation

1. Sep 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See attached photo

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't even know where to start on this problem. Usually, if I am given a possible solution to a DE, say y(t)=cos(t) as a solution to y''-y'+y=sin(t), I find whether it was a solution or not by manipulating it and then plugging it into the second equation that it may be a solution to and then seeing whether the resulting statement is true. For the ex. problem I give in this section, I would do this:
    y'= -sint
    y''= -cost
    then sub them in: -cost +sint +cost = sint
    and by simplifying get: sint = sint
    so for this case, it y=cost is a solution.
    But with the problem that is in the attached photo I have no idea what to do.

Does anyone have an guidance as to how I can solve the attached problem?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's the "photo":

attachment.php?attachmentid=50458&d=1346730413.jpg

Well, find [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x-ct)[/itex] and then the partial with respect to x of that.

Do the same with partials with respect to t.

Then plug all that in.

4. Sep 3, 2012 #3
    I don't have much experience with partial derivatives, am I on the right track here: the first partial derivative with respect to x, [tex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x-ct)[/tex] be: 1, therefore the second would be 0?

5. Sep 3, 2012 #4
    Sorry for the formatting on that, I had not even heard of LateX before finding this site.
    Oh never mind this, it's fixed.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  6. Sep 3, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x-ct) = (1)\cdot f'(x-ct)\,,[/itex] because d/dx (x) = 1 .

Similarly [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial t} f(x-ct) = (-c)\cdot f'(x-ct)\,.[/itex]

7. Sep 3, 2012 #6
    Oh, so that's what the reference to chain rule was about! Thank you!! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook