1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verify the divergence theorem for a cylinder

1. May 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Verify the divergence theorem if [itex]\textbf{F} = <1-x^{2}, -y^{2}, z >[/itex] for a solid cylinder of radius 1 that lies between the planes z=0 and z=2.

2. Relevant equations
    Divergence theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

I can do the triple integral part no problem. Where I run into issues is the surface integral part.

Parametrizing a cylinder is done by <rcost,rsint,z>, correct?

So looking at the top part I want it oriented in the positive k direction to get flow OUT of the cylinder - hence S: <cost,sint,2> because it lies in the plane z=2.
    Similarly for the bottom S: <cost,-sint,0>

Now for the side, the side never has any k components so S: <cost,sint,0>

Now lets look at the top again. If I take the derivatives with repect to Z and try to cross them I end up with 0 net flow in every direction, it does not agree with the triple integral and isn't correct.
    I have a feeling that I'm not parametrizing my cylinder correct, I remember it being a special case.

Another thing that I tried was parametrizing the top as <cost,sint,z>
    Then the dS vector becomes
    <cost,sint,0>
    Now it's showing no component in the z direction - clearly it should have a component in the z direction?!

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Clearly dS along the top should be in the +z direction. It should be <0,0,1>dA. How are you getting that it isn't? The coordinates along the top are <rcos(t), rsin(t), 2> take the r derivative and the t derivative and cross them.

4. May 5, 2014 #3
    Ahh I see I thought it was
    <1cost,1sint,z> I didn't realize that you allowed R to vary as it is fixed in the problem.

5. May 6, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The outer radius of the cylinder is fixed at 1. The coordinate r isn't fixed along the top surface. It ranges from 0 to 1. Only z is fixed. Along the sides r is fixed and z isn't.

6. May 6, 2014 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, S can have any value of z between 0 and 2: S: <cos(t), sin(t), z>. A two dimensional surface always requires two parameters! The NORMAL VECTOR has no k component:
    writing [itex]\vec{r}= cos(t)\vec{i}+ sin(t)\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex], we have [itex]\vec{r}_t= -sin(t)\vec{i}+ sin(t)\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_z= \vec{k}[/itex] and their cross product is [itex]cos(t)\vec{i}+ sin(t)\vec{j}[/itex]

The top is NOT "<cos(t), sin(t), z>". That has r fixed at 1 and both t and z varying so is the cylindrical side. The top has both r and t varying and z fixed at 2: <r cos(t), r sin(t), 2> (the bottom is <r cos(t), r(sin t), 0>).
    The derivative with respect to r, for the top, is <cos(t), sin(t), 0> and the derivative with respect to t <-r sin(t), cos(t), 0>. Their cross product gives [itex]\vec{n}dS= r \vec{k} drdt[/itex]. Similarly, [itex]\vec{n}dS[/itex] is [itex]-r\vec{k}drdt[/itex] for the bottom.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted