1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the basis of the nullspace, can you see if i'm doing this right?

1. Dec 6, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone, I think i did this right, but i want to make sure this is what they want. The questions says:
    In each case find a basis for and caclulate the dimension of nullA:
    Here is my work and problem!

I just found out its wrong...but why? the book got:
    {[-2 4 1 0 0 ]^T, [7 -11 0 2 1]^T}
    dim(nullA) = 2.
    Those kind of resemble my columns, i got
    [2 -4 0 0 0] and [-7 11 2 0 0], hm...
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First of all, do you understand where the null space is?

If A: U->V is a linear transformation from U to V, then the null space of L is the subspace of U such that if x is in the null space, then Ax= 0.

Your A is a 5 by 3 matrix: from R5 to R3, but you give {[1,0,0], [0,1,0], [0,0,1]} as the basis for the null space. That's impossible! The nullspace of A a subpace of R5, not R3.

Now, that's really mystiftying! In your image, your columns contain only 3 numbers, your rows, 5!

I haven't checked all of your arithmetic (you shift rows around in a way I find confusing) but assuming the last, row-reduced, matrix is correct, the equation AX= 0 becomes (letting X= [x, y, z, u, v]),
    x+ 2z- 7v= 0, y- 4z+ 11v= 0, and u- 2v= 0. That is 3 equations in 5 unkowns so we can solve for 3 of them in terms of the other 2: in this row-reduced form, x= -2z+ 7v, y= 4z- 11v., u= 2v.
    Taking z= 1, v= 0, that gives x= -2, y= 4, u= 0. One vector in the nullspace is [-2, 4, 1, 1, 0].
    Taking z= 0, v= 1 gives x= 7, y= -11, u= 2. Another vector in the nullspace is [7, -11, 0, 2, 1].
    Those 2 vectors constitute a basis for the nullspace.

The nullspace is 2 dimensional. That's no surprise. In order to "squeeze" a 5 dimensional space into a 3 dimensional space, at least 2 dimensions have to go to 0. Assuming no other dependencies, that would be exactly 2.
  4. Dec 6, 2005 #3
    ohh wow, i did totally screw that one up, thank you so much for the detailed explanation as always :biggrin: !!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?