Finding a Basis for the Nullspace of a 2x2 Matrix Transformation

In summary, the conversation is about finding a basis for the nullspace of T, with the given information that a basis for a 2x2 matrix is 1 0, 0 0, 0 1, 0 0, 0 0, 1 0, 0 0, 0 1. The transformation is applied to each of these matrices, resulting in 4 matrices, of which two are the zero matrix. The participant gets stuck on how to find a basis after knowing these 4 matrices, but eventually realizes that the basis for Null(T) is the set of matrices that are transformed to the zero matrix. The conversation also briefly touches on the difference between range and nullspace
charlies1902
The problem is attached.

I am instructed to find a basis for the nullspace of T.A basis for a 2x2 matrix is
1 0
0 0

0 1
0 0

0 0
1 0

0 0
0 1Applying the transformation to each of these gives
0 0
0 0

0 2
0 0

0 0
-2 0

0 0
0 0
respectively.

Now this is where I get stuck. How do I find a basis after knowing these 4 matrices?

It look like it's a linear combo of 2 matrices:
0 1
0 0
and
0 0
1 0

but the answer in the book is
1 0
0 0

0 0
0 1

I don't undertand.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
charlies1902 said:
The problem is attached.

I am instructed to find a basis for the nullspace of T.A basis for a 2x2 matrix is
1 0
0 0

0 1
0 0

0 0
1 0

0 0
0 1Applying the transformation to each of these gives
0 0
0 0

0 2
0 0

0 0
-2 0

0 0
0 0
respectively.

Now this is where I get stuck. How do I find a basis after knowing these 4 matrices?

It look like it's a linear combo of 2 matrices:
0 1
0 0
and
0 0
1 0

but the answer in the book is
1 0
0 0

0 0
0 1

I don't undertand.

Which matrices get sent to (transformed to) the zero matrix? That's the basis for Null(T).

Gotcha, I keep it getting it cnofused with range (T), nullspace(T) is solved by setting the right hand side of the transformation equal to 0 right?So for this case,
0 1
0 0
and
0 0
1 0

would be a basis for the range of T?

I think so, but I didn't check your work.

What is the basis for nullspace of T?

The basis for nullspace of T is a set of vectors that span the nullspace of a linear transformation T. This means that every vector in the nullspace of T can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the basis.

Why is the basis for nullspace of T important?

The basis for nullspace of T is important because it helps us understand the structure of the nullspace of a linear transformation. It also helps us find solutions to homogeneous systems of equations, which are represented by the nullspace of T.

How do you find the basis for nullspace of T?

To find the basis for nullspace of T, we need to solve the equation T(x) = 0. The solutions to this equation will form the basis for nullspace of T. This can be done by finding the reduced row echelon form of the matrix representing T and identifying the pivot columns.

Can the basis for nullspace of T contain more than one vector?

Yes, the basis for nullspace of T can contain more than one vector. In fact, the number of vectors in the basis will be equal to the number of free variables in the reduced row echelon form of the matrix representing T.

Is the basis for nullspace of T unique?

No, the basis for nullspace of T is not unique. There can be multiple sets of vectors that span the nullspace of T and therefore, multiple possible bases for the nullspace. However, all bases for the nullspace will have the same number of vectors and will span the same space.