Basis, Nullspace, Linear transformtion

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving a linear transformation problem and finding the basis for the null space of the given matrix. The person is having trouble with part 4 and is seeking clarification on the correct method. The conversation also touches on the difference between finding vectors in R4 and finding vectors in V. Ultimately, the person uses a combination of methods to find the basis for the null space.
pyroknife
The problem is attached, I did parts 1-3, but I am having trouble with part 4. This is what i was planning on doing for part 4 (my teacher said this wasn't the correct method):

set T(v)=0
and solve the augmented matrix
1 0 -1 1 0
2 1 -2 4 0
3 1 -1 7 0

rref gives
1 0 0 2 0
0 1 0 2 0
0 0 1 1 0

So N(T)=span{[-2 -2 -1 1]^t}
So shouldn't a basis for N(T) be [-2 -2 -1 1]^t?I don't understand how this is wrong.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong with it either. What you're doing is to solve the equation
$$T\begin{bmatrix}a\\ b\\ c\\ d\end{bmatrix}=0.$$ Maybe your teacher just thought that this was a bad idea compared to solving
$$T\begin{bmatrix}2b-2c\\ b\\ c\\ -c\end{bmatrix}=0,$$ where two of the unknowns have already been eliminated because we're using what we know about the null space of A. But I get the same result with both methods, so I can't say that the second one is significantly better.

I talked to him again and he said "the way I did it, I was finding all of the vectors in R4 such that T(x)=0. The question is asking to find all vectors in V such that T(x)=0 which is a different question."

The basis found in part 1 is {[2 1 0 0] [2 0 -1 1]}.
The linear transformation of these two vectors is
[2 5 7]^t and [4 10 14]^t respectively.

Te matrix for this is
2 4
5 10
7 14

Rref is
1 2
0 0
0 0

The coordinate vector that spans the null space is [2 -1]^t

So the basis is 2[2 1 0 0] + 1[2 0 -1 1]= [-2 -2 -1 1]

Wow that got really tricky a d conplicated

pyroknife said:
I talked to him again and he said "the way I did it, I was finding all of the vectors in R4 such that T(x)=0. The question is asking to find all vectors in V such that T(x)=0 which is a different question."
Right, that's what I meant. The thing is, both methods give us the same result, so what you did can't be completely wrong. I think the only problem is this: When you do it your way, you don't automatically know that the vector you find is actually a member of V (= the null space of A), so you also have to verify that it is.

pyroknife said:
The basis found in part 1 is {[2 1 0 0] [2 0 -1 1]}.
The linear transformation of these two vectors is
[2 5 7]^t and [4 10 14]^t respectively.

Te matrix for this is
2 4
5 10
7 14

Rref is
1 2
0 0
0 0

The coordinate vector that spans the null space is [2 -1]^t

So the basis is 2[2 1 0 0] + 1[2 0 -1 1]= [-2 -2 -1 1]

Wow that got really tricky a d conplicated
I don't understand exactly what you're doing here. I think it may be an advantage for me that I don't remember the fancy ways of doing these things. :smile: All I did was this: You know from part 1 that any member of V can be written as a linear combination of the two basis vectors you found: a[2 1 0 0]T+b[2 0 -1 1]T =[2a+2b a -b b]T So now you just need to solve T[2a+2b a -b b]T=0. This gives you a relationship between a and b. Use that relationship and set b=1, or whatever is convenient.

1. What is a basis in linear algebra?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent any vector in a given vector space. It is the minimal set of vectors that can span the entire space.

2. How is a basis related to the nullspace of a matrix?

The nullspace of a matrix represents the set of all vectors that are mapped to the zero vector by a linear transformation. If a basis for the nullspace is known, it can be used to find the solution to a system of linear equations.

3. What is the relationship between basis and linear transformation?

A linear transformation maps vectors from one vector space to another. The basis vectors of the input space will be transformed into a new set of basis vectors in the output space. The transformation can be described by a matrix, where the columns are the basis vectors of the output space.

4. Can a linear transformation have more than one basis?

Yes, a linear transformation can have multiple bases. This is because different sets of basis vectors can be used to represent the same vector space. However, all bases for a given vector space will have the same number of elements, known as the dimension of the space.

5. How is the dimension of the nullspace related to the dimension of the basis?

The dimension of the nullspace is equal to the number of free variables in the solution to a system of linear equations. This is also equal to the number of basis vectors needed to represent the nullspace. Therefore, the dimension of the nullspace and the dimension of the basis are directly related.