Finding the direction of the momentum (by drawing?)

In summary: Ok, so my mistake was thinking that because p1+p2+p3=0, the direction of the resultant momentum has to be the opposite of what it actually is.In this case, the x and y components of the resultant momentum must be -3,45 and the resultant magnitude is -2,441.
fawk3s

Homework Statement

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5851/lolz32.png

A missle explodes in the air, forming 3 pieces equal in mass. Their masses are 0,03kg.
First piece started moving with a velocity of 60m/s, which makes its momentum
p=60*0,03=1,8
The second piece started moving with a velocity of 55m/s, making its momentum
p=55*0,03=1,65

The velocity directions are shown in the picture.

Find the momentum of the third piece by constructing/drawing.
The angle of the third piece's movement relative to vertical diretion.
The direction of the momentum of the third piece.

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to solve this.
I'd bet the last 2 things are practically the same thing, though.

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently you are supposed to assume that the initial momentum of the missile was 0.
There's no way to solve this otherwise. If the inital momentum was 0 then the momemta of the 3 pieces still have to add to 0, both in the x and in the y direction.

willem2 said:
Apparently you are supposed to assume that the initial momentum of the missile was 0.
There's no way to solve this otherwise. If the inital momentum was 0 then the momemta of the 3 pieces still have to add to 0, both in the x and in the y direction.

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention the missle stopped, and then exploded.
I thought of that solution for a second, but wasnt sure at all. I will give it a try.

I guess it worked. Hope I got the right answer.

Thanks you very much good sir !

Ok, I think I actually reached a point where I don't get it anymore.

I added the 2 first momentas, getting the third one to be -3,45.
But that doesn't seem to be the right answer. The right answer is supposed to be ~2,441, which you can get by Pythagoras.

But I don't really get it. If its ~2,44, the momentums won't add up to 0, which was the missles initial momentum. I mean, arent I supposed to add the 2 vectors in order to get the third one (opposite direction ofcourse)?

Please help.

fawk3s said:
Ok, I think I actually reached a point where I don't get it anymore.

I added the 2 first momentas, getting the third one to be -3,45.
But that doesn't seem to be the right answer. The right answer is supposed to be ~2,441, which you can get by Pythagoras.

But I don't really get it. If its ~2,44, the momentums won't add up to 0, which was the missles initial momentum. I mean, arent I supposed to add the 2 vectors in order to get the third one (opposite direction ofcourse)?

Please help.

Momentum (not moments) has a magnitude and direction. So, as stated in the initial help, the sum of the momentum in the x direction nas to be zero, and the sum in the y direction also has to be zero. Given the way you've drawn the figure, the 3rd momentum vector has to point up to the left, in order to cancel out the other two vectors.

Does that help?

Yes, I know it has to point up to the left, but why is its momentum -2,44, instead of -3,45?

Because p1+p2+p3=0
But in this case
1,8+1,65-2,44=1,01

fawk3s said:
Yes, I know it has to point up to the left, but why is its momentum -2,44, instead of -3,45?

Because p1+p2+p3=0
But in this case
1,8+1,65-2,44=1,01

What are the x and y components of p1?

What are the x and y components of p2?

What does that mean the x and y components of p3 need to be?

What is the resulting magnitude and direction of p3? Give the answer and show it on your drawing (showing the x and y components of p3, and the resulting magnitude and direction).

I understand now, I am a moron.

Thanks for the help.

1. What is momentum and why is it important to find its direction?

Momentum is a property of a moving object, defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is important to find the direction of momentum because it helps us understand the motion and behavior of objects, and can be used to predict future movements.

2. How can we determine the direction of an object's momentum by drawing?

One way to determine the direction of an object's momentum by drawing is by using vector diagrams. Draw an arrow to represent the object's momentum, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the momentum.

3. Can we use any type of diagram to find the direction of an object's momentum?

No, we cannot use any type of diagram to find the direction of an object's momentum. It is important to use vector diagrams, which accurately represent both the magnitude and direction of the momentum.

4. Are there any other methods besides drawing to determine the direction of an object's momentum?

Yes, there are other methods besides drawing to determine the direction of an object's momentum. For example, we can use mathematical equations, such as the momentum formula (p=mv), to calculate the direction of the momentum.

5. How does the direction of an object's momentum change during a collision?

The direction of an object's momentum can change during a collision depending on the type of collision. In an elastic collision, the direction of momentum remains the same. In an inelastic collision, the direction of momentum may change due to the transfer of kinetic energy between the colliding objects.