1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the electric field at a point in between 3 electrodes

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The figure is an edge view of three charged metal electrodes. Let the left electrode be the zero point of the electric po*tential. Assume that Q=100 nC and q=50 nC.

The left electrode has a charge of -q, the middle electrode has a charge of +Q, and the right electrode has a charge of -q. There is 1 cm in between the left electrode, the middle electrode is 1 cm wide, and there is 1 cm between the middle electrode and the right electrode. All of the electrodes have 2.0 cm x 2.0 cm cross section. I apologize for the lack of a visual, I realize this would make it easier.

a.) What are E at 0.5 cm
    b.) What are V at 0.5 cm
    c.) What are E at 1.5 cm
    d.) What are V at 1.5 cm
    e.) What are E at 2.5 cm
    f.) What are V at 2.5 cm

2. Relevant equations

E=Q/(e_0*A)
    V=Ed

3. The attempt at a solution

If I have the equations that are supposed to be used correct, then getting parts b, d, and f are very simple. You just plug the answer from parts a, c, and e in correct? I can't figure out how to use the first equation to the get the E field at those points. Any explanation of this problem you can give me would be much appreciated. I need to understand it and be able to work it, not just know the answer. Thanks a lot.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2014 #2
  4. Oct 30, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, your 1st equation is OK. The D field close to a surface charge σ is D = σ.
    And D = ε0E and σ = Q/A where Q is the total charge on the surface of area A.

For a dielectric plate the D field close to the plate (but in vacuum) would be σ/2.

Your problem is to determine the surface charge density on all 6 surfaces, then E is immediately available and so as you point out is V.
    EDIT: OK, you only need the inner 4 surfaces.

BTW the fact that the plates are only 2 x 2 cm. makes your answers necessarily very approximate since there would be appreciable field fringing taking place.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted