Finding the electric potential difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential difference between the surface of an insulating cylinder and the outer surface of a charged conducting cylindrical shell. The solution involves using known results for the electric field and potential due to a line of charge through the origin, exploiting symmetry and using the superposition principle. The end result is finding the potential difference by taking into account the contribution of both the insulating cylinder and the conducting shell.
hanyu

Homework Statement

Please don't do the problem for me, but explain to me in detail each steps I should take and why in my calculations (so I didn't include any numbers).

There's an insulating infinite cylinder of equal charge distribution at origin (density given- rho). Let's say it's radius is a. Then some radius outwards, there's another charged conducting cylindrical shell (given linear charge density- lambda) that encloses the original cylinder with some thickness. It's inner surface is at a distance (radius) b from the origin, and its outer surface c from the origin.

I basically need to find V(c) - V(a), the pot. diff at surface of insulator, to outer surface of the shell.

Homework Equations

V(r) = V(r) - V(inf) = INT[E.dl] from inf to r.
E = lamda/ (2pi e0 r)
Area of circle: pi r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So the potential specifically for inf. cylinders should be something like:
V(r) = lamda/ (2pi e0) INT[1/r dr] from inf to r.

Since rho is useless, I'll have to change it into lambda, by multiplying rho by the area of the cross-sectional circle of the cylinder, (pi a^2). Then we can now view the insulating cylinder as a thin wire at the origin (along z-axis) with lambda = rho*pi*a^2.

to find V(c)-V(a), we must do multiple integrals.
for V(c),
INT[E.dl]<from inf to c>

for V(a),
INT[E.dl]<from inf to c> + INT[E.dl]<from c to b> + INT[E.dl]<from b to a>.
INT[E.dl]<from c to b> should be 0 because the E-filed within the conductor is 0.

so V(c)-V(a) = -INT[E.dl]<from b to a>.
= -lamda/ (2pi e0) INT[1/r dr] from b to a, where lambda as we found is rho*pi*a^2.

= -(rho*a^2)/(2 e0) * (ln(a)-ln(b))

...but apparently I'm wrong D: What did I do wrong, how should I have done it and why??

Physics news on Phys.org
From scratch:
1. exploit the symmetry of the situation ... change to cylindrical polar coordinates.
2. use [itex]\epsilon_0 \nabla^2\phi=\rho_{free}[/itex]

But you can finesse it using known results.
1. the field inside a charged conducting surface is zero - so the potential is a constant
2. the field outside a long cylinder of charge is the same as a line of charge through the origin - you should have a solution for that.
3. the superposition principle.
4. the field is the gradient of the potential.

So,
V(a) is that due to a line of charge through the origin + a constant.
V(c) is that due to a superposition of two lines of charge.

Is that what you are trying to do?

1. What is electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the force that moves electric charges from one point to another.

2. How is electric potential difference measured?

Electric potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in an electric circuit. It is typically connected in parallel with the component or circuit being measured.

3. What factors affect electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference is affected by the amount of charge, distance between the two points, and the strength of the electric field. The potential difference increases with increasing charge and decreases with increasing distance.

4. How is electric potential difference related to electric current?

Electric potential difference and electric current are directly related. An electric potential difference between two points causes an electric current to flow from the higher potential to the lower potential. The greater the potential difference, the greater the current flow.

5. Why is finding the electric potential difference important?

Finding the electric potential difference is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electric charges in a circuit. It is also essential in designing and maintaining efficient and safe electrical systems.