1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the equation of a plane

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This isn't actually a homework question, but I'm revising for my resits and can't do this past paper question. And of course if i don't figure out how to do it it will obviously come up on the exam

A plane is tangential to the surface xexp(-x^2 - y^2) - z = 0 at the point where z takes on its maximum value. Find the equation of the plane

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I have to find where z is at its maximum and then find the normal to the tangent at that point to enable me to write the plane equation in the form r.n=0
    z will be at it's maximum when xexp(-x^2 - y^2) is at its maximum but i don't know when that will be?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2007 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know how to find the maximum of a function?

4. Sep 6, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As NateTG suggested, first find the maximum point by setting the gradient of z equal to 0. Of course, the tangent plane at a maximum (or minimum) is parallel to the xy-plane, just as the tangent line at a maximum (or minimum) of y= f(x), in two dimensions, is parallel to the x-axis.

5. Sep 6, 2007 #4
    so since z = x exp(-x^2 - y^2) if i differentiate this and set it to zero i should get my point. But what do i differentiate z with respect to since there's x and y in the function.
    Since I'm trying to find the equation of the plane does that just mean that it's a plane parallel to the x-y axis?

6. Sep 6, 2007 #5

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, it's parallel to the x-y plane.

Since you're apparently not familiar with partial derivatives, I'd suggest looking at
    [tex]x e^{-x^2-y^2}[/tex]
    and trying to find what [itex]y[/itex] is at the maximum by inspection.

7. Sep 6, 2007 #6
    oops yeh i meant plane

i am familiar with partial derivatives.

so the partial derivative wrt x is -2x^2[exp(-x^2-y^2)] + exp(-x^2-y^2)
    and wrt y is -2y^2[exp(-x^2-y^2)]

but I'm still confused as to where i'm going with this, i don't really get the bigger picture of what i'm trying to do

8. Sep 6, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are at a maximum point, the partial derivatives wrt x and y will both vanish.

9. Sep 6, 2007 #8
    ok now i'm really confused. how do you recomend i start this question as i don't seem to be getting anywhere with my current route =(

10. Sep 6, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just set your two partial derivatives equal to zero. That's two equations in two unknowns, x and y. Once you've found your critical points test them to see if you can find which one could give you a maximum for z.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?