Finding the equation of a plane

• Thread starter navalava
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the conversation was about finding an equation of a plane that passes through a given point and contains a given line. The attempt at a solution involved finding three points on the plane and using their cross product to find the equation. However, the mistake was made in substituting a wrong value for t, resulting in incorrect points. A suggestion was given to find the cross product using the direction vector of the line and a point on it, which would be less work.
navalava

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the plane that passes through the point (6,0,-2) and contains the line x=4-2t, y=3+5t, z=7+4t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I did:
I substituted t=2 to get:
x=0, y=17, z= 15
So in total, we have three points that the plane contains: P1(6,0,-2), P2(4,3,7), P3(0,17,15)
Vector P1P2=<-2,3,9>
Vector P1P3=<-6,17,17>
I took a cross product of these vectors to get <-102,-20,-16>
I used the point P1(6,0,-2) to obtain:

-102(x-6)-20(y-0)-16(z+2)=0

But the solution is 33(x-6)-10(y-0)-4(z+2)=0
I'm unable to understand what I did wrong. I'd really appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
navalava said:

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the plane that passes through the point (6,0,-2) and contains the line x=4-2t, y=3+5t, z=7+4t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I did:
I substituted t=2 to get:
x=0, y=17, z= 15
So in total, we have three points that the plane contains: P1(6,0,-2), P2(4,3,7), P3(0,17,15)
Vector P1P2=<-2,3,9>
Vector P1P3=<-6,17,17>
I took a cross product of these vectors to get <-102,-20,-16>
I used the point P1(6,0,-2) to obtain:

-102(x-6)-20(y-0)-16(z+2)=0

But the solution is 33(x-6)-10(y-0)-4(z+2)=0
I'm unable to understand what I did wrong. I'd really appreciate any help!

Substituting t=2 gives me x=0, y=13, z= 15. Check the y value again.

In fact, why bother finding another point on the line for which you have the parametric equation? You already have its direction vector and you know a point on that line by using t = 0 .

Find the vector from that t = 0 point to (6, 0, -2). You now have two vectors in the plane that you can find the cross product for. That would be less work than dealing with a third point.

Thank you! I see what I did wrong in substitution now!

What is the equation of a plane?

The equation of a plane is a mathematical representation of a flat, two-dimensional surface in three-dimensional space. It is typically written in the form Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the plane's normal vector and D is a constant.

How do you find the equation of a plane?

To find the equation of a plane, you need to know three things: a point on the plane, the plane's normal vector, and the direction of the normal vector. Once you have this information, you can use the point-normal form of the equation: (x - x0, y - y0, z - z0) • N = 0, where (x0, y0, z0) is the given point and N is the normal vector.

What is a normal vector?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular, or at a 90-degree angle, to a surface. In the context of finding the equation of a plane, the normal vector represents the direction in which the plane is facing.

How do you determine if a point lies on a plane?

If a point lies on a plane, it must satisfy the plane's equation. This means that if you substitute the point's x, y, and z coordinates into the equation, the result should be 0. If the result is not 0, then the point does not lie on the plane.

Can you find the equation of a plane using three points?

Yes, to find the equation of a plane using three points, you can use the three-point form of the equation: (x - x0, y - y0, z - z0) • ((x1, y1, z1) x (x2, y2, z2)), where (x0, y0, z0) is any of the three given points, and (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2) are the other two points.