1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the equation of a system involving dashpots and mass on wheels

1. Jun 4, 2011 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    consider the mechanical system below. Find the equation depicting the system. u is the input force. sorry for the poor picture, I had to draw it on my tablet...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to treat the dashpot in parallel with the mass. I came up with the following system of equations:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2011 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jun 4, 2011 #3

oops I mistyped...
  5. Jun 5, 2011 #4
    I can't tell you anything for sure since I haven't done these problems in years. The way I used to check out the mechanical "circuit" when I got overwhelmed was based on my electrical knowledge. Your dashpot is a resistor and your mass is an inductor. Always use this as a double check when you're unsure of a mechanical setup. The info for the electrical setup will always be more easy to find.

EDIT: Looking at your equations of motion now though, I think you have it or are close. There is no need to fudge with the circuit. Just find X and Y based on input u.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  6. Jun 5, 2011 #5

after some more modification, but i'm still unsure...
  7. Jun 6, 2011 #6
    For starters:

Note that u would be a velocity input, not a force input.

b is by' - it has no contact with the velocity at x

and I think for m it is m(y"-x")

I haven't checked your eqautions yet, so patience please
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?