1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the function from given data

1. Feb 9, 2014 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If f(x) is differentiable function satisfying [itex] 6x \displaystyle \int_0^1 f(tx)dt = 2x^3-3x^2+6x+5 [/itex] then select correct options(more than one may be correct)

a)f(x) is symmetric about x=1
    b)f(x)=0 has no real roots
    c)f(-x)=f(x+1) for all x in R
    d) f(x)=1/2 has 2 real and equal roots

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the options it is clear that the function f(x) is to be determined first. Now, if I divide both sides by 6,
    [itex] x \displaystyle \int_0^1 f(tx)dt = \int (x^2 - x +1) dx + \frac{5}{6} [/itex]

I have no idea how to take it ahead.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2014 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Hint: In [itex] 6x \displaystyle \int_0^1 f(tx)dt [/itex], substitute ##y = tx## and use Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to differentiate it after transforming the bounds.

EDIT: I'm not at all certain that the constant term (5) belongs in the RHS of that equation. It makes no sense to me. If it is disregarded, the question is easily solvable. Maybe someone else will have an insight into this.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  4. Feb 9, 2014 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

A clever approach. Thank You!

5. Feb 9, 2014 #4
    I suggest you to make a note of this approach, its going to be helpful a lot of times. Test papers often include problems on FTOC.

6. Feb 9, 2014 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The consensus in the homework help forum is that the question is wrong. The presence of the constant term (5) on the RHS is inconsistent. Putting x = 0 makes the LHS vanish but not the RHS.

*Another* wrong question?

7. Feb 10, 2014 #6

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm going to make it right now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted