1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the initial velocity and time period of a projectile

1. Feb 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the Fig.
    What should be the initial velocity (magnitude and direction) of the arrow? Also calculate the time of flight.
    10996590_972978676065348_864850896699954934_n.jpg 10996590_972978676065348_864850896699954934_n.jpg
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have formulated 2 equations:
    v*cos(theta) * t = 20
    and 3 = (v * Sin(theta) * t) + (9.81 * t^2)/2
    when t = time of flight
    and v = initial velocity

I have further gone to a final equation
    v = (2000+2000(tan(theta))^2)/ (3 + 20 Tan(theta))
    Any help please.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you think there is only one way to hit the apple?

4. Feb 25, 2015 #3
    Well, intuitively speaking, I think that this problem will have a range of values as we can hit the apple along a variety of trajectories.

5. Feb 25, 2015 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's correct. So, could you clarify what you are trying to calculate? For example, there will be a minimum value of v for which you can hit the apple.

6. Feb 25, 2015 #5
    But won't there be an optimal solution to this, the solution that takes the least time? I mean the value of v that takes the least time?

7. Feb 25, 2015 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's not really going to be a least time, as the least time will be for the fastest v.

I think there would be a longest time, associated with the lowest possible velocity.

8. Feb 25, 2015 #7
    Oh yes! How stupid of me to ask :P But how will we find the lowest value of v?

9. Feb 25, 2015 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure you are not missing a constraint from the problem? It's quite tricky to calculate the lowest v to hit a point above the ground.

10. Feb 25, 2015 #9
    well the problem, unfortunately, in front of me only gives this information. I think that there will be different minimum velocity for every possible angle. Am I right? and how do we find the range of angles possible?

11. Feb 25, 2015 #10

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm pretty sure it's not the problem you're supposed to be doing, but if you want a challenge.

First step is to express the trajectory as a (parabolic) function. Here's the formula. Try to derive this:

##y = xtan\theta - \frac{gx^2}{2v^2}sec^2\theta##

12. Feb 25, 2015 #11
    I have already done that:
    I formulated two equations:
    1. vCosθ * t = 20
    as x =20
    2. 3 = vSinθ(t) + g(t^2)/2
    as y =3 and then substituting the value of 't' i.e. 20/vcosθ in the second equation

13. Feb 25, 2015 #12

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay, but remember g = -9.81 in your equations.

If you're trying to minimise v, then you need to maximise ##\theta## which is the same as maximising ##tan\theta##. Note that ##sec^2\theta = tan^2\theta + 1##

So, aim for a quadratic equation in ##tan\theta##.

14. Feb 25, 2015 #13
    Okay, that's what I have reached at:

is the answer 89.7 degrees?

15. Feb 25, 2015 #14
    And also could you tell me the intuitive reason why we took g as -9.81( I am sometimes confused by this). I do get why we took this value in this particular problem as we had to get a maximum value of tanθ hence we get a parabola with a maximum point.

And, am I right in thinking that there will be a different minimum velocity for every possible angle?

16. Feb 25, 2015 #15

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That can't be correct.

17. Feb 25, 2015 #16
    y = xtanθ - (gx^2 secθ^2)/2 Comment: as we take g =- 9.81 so negative sign)
    2y = 2xtanθ-gx^2secθ^2
    2y = 2xtanθ-gx^2-gx^2(tanθ)^2
    2y+gx^2=2xtanθ-gx^2(tanθ)^2
    now plugging in the values: x = 20; y =3
    2(3) +(9.81*400)=2(20)tanθ-(9.81*400)(tanθ)^2
    now by substituting any variable say 'x' as tanθ
    -3924x^2 + 40 x - 3930 = 0
    Then differentiating it and putting that to zero and getting the value of x to be 196.2 and then using tanθ = 196.2 and then finding out the value of θ.

18. Feb 25, 2015 #17

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I might have led you astray! We need to maximise the quadratic function for a given v. And, if the maximum value is y, we have the minimum value for v. It's not maximising theta. We need to maximise:

##f(\theta) = xtan\theta - \frac{gx^2}{2v^2}(1 + tan^2\theta)##

I told you it was tricky!

19. Feb 25, 2015 #18
    But is not the 'y'(vertical displacement) always constant as the displacement will always be 3 no matter what? I mean the final displacement will be 3. Thanks for the help :D

20. Feb 25, 2015 #19

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's not the point. Suppose we fire the arrow at a velocity v. That function gives the height at x for a given ##\theta##. So, first we calculate the maximum height at x for a given v (for any ##\theta##).

If that maximum height happens to be y (=3 in this case), then we have found the minumum v. Think about it. If we could hit (x, y) with a lower velocity than v, then we could hit a higher point (x, something higher than y) at velocity v.

In other words, at the minimum v, we can only just hit the target. And no higher.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted