Finding the intersection of subspaces, and addition of subspaces

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the intersection and sum of two spans, E and F, where E is defined as the span of {u, 2v} and F is defined as the span of {w, v}. The question also asks about the relationship between span{u, v} and span{u, 2v}, and the geometric representation of span{u, v}. The conversation also explores the concept of linear combinations and how they relate to finding the intersect of E and F.
minitejpar
Heres the question:
Let {u,v,w} be a linearly independent set of vectors of R^4. Let E = span{u,2v} and F=span{w,v}. Find EnF and E + F.

i really have no idea other than i guess if 1/2u=w and v=v, then the EnF can be defined by that, but I'm not sure if that is right! :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if u & v are linearly independent, what does span{u,v} represent?

now does span{u,2v} contain v?

span{u,v} represents all the combinations of u and v. (at least that's what i understand).

and yes, span(u,2v) does contain v, and so can i multiply 2v by 1/2? and then have span{u,v} instead of span{u,2v}?

if this is the case, then how do i find the intersect if F=span{w,v} seeing as w is not u..?

minitejpar said:
span{u,v} represents all the combinations of u and v. (at least that's what i understand).
Can you be a bit more specific as to what you mean by "combination"?
and yes, span(u,2v) does contain v, and so can i multiply 2v by 1/2? and then have span{u,v} instead of span{u,2v}?

if this is the case, then how do i find the intersect if F=span{w,v} seeing as w is not u..?
When a vector x is in E ∩ F, that means x∈E and x∈F. So you're looking for all vectors that can be expressed as a combination of u and 2v (so that it's in E) and a combination of w and v (so that it's in F). So again, it depends on what exactly you mean by "combination."

minitejpar said:
span{u,v} = the set containing all linear combinations of u & v, so any vector w with:
w = a.u + b.v
for any real scalars a,b

think of u & v as vectors, what does span{u,v} represent geometrically?

note that
0 = 0.u + 0.v is in span{u,v}

minitejpar said:
so then can you show

span{u,v} = span{u,2v}
minitejpar said:

Your very very first step should be E = span{u, 2v} = span{u, v}. This makes life easier.

E + F = span{u,2v) + span{w,v} = au + 2bv + cw + dv = span(u,v,w) I think. Not comepletely sure.

What is the intersection of subspaces?

The intersection of subspaces is the set of all elements that belong to both subspaces. In other words, it is the common elements shared by two or more subspaces.

How do you find the intersection of subspaces?

To find the intersection of subspaces, you can use the method of solving a system of linear equations. This involves finding the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations in the system.

What is the significance of finding the intersection of subspaces?

Finding the intersection of subspaces helps us understand the relationship between two or more subspaces and how they overlap. It also allows us to determine the dimension of the intersection, which can be useful in various applications, such as in linear algebra and machine learning.

What is the addition of subspaces?

The addition of subspaces is the process of combining two or more subspaces to create a new subspace. This new subspace contains all the elements that can be written as a linear combination of elements from the original subspaces.

How do you add subspaces?

To add subspaces, you can use the span operator, which takes a set of subspaces and returns the subspace that contains all possible linear combinations of elements from the original subspaces. Another method is to use the direct sum operator, which combines subspaces without allowing for any shared elements.