Finding the Interval for -2(x-1)(2x+5)(x-7) > 0

• Thread starter jeahomgrajan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interval
In summary, the interval can be determined algebraically for the inequality -2(x-1)(2x+5)(x-7)>0 by understanding the behavior of the function when multiplied by a negative constant. The zeroes of the function are -2.5, 1, and 7, and the interval where the function is positive is between -2.5 and 1, and between 7 and infinity, while the interval where the function is negative is between 1 and 7.
jeahomgrajan

Homework Statement

determine the interval algebraically for -2(x-1)(2x+5)(x-7)>0

The Attempt at a Solution

the zeroes are 1. -2.5, 7

what do i do with the -2 in front?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you graph [tex]y=(x-1)(2x+5)(x-7)[/tex] and then multiply the function by 2, so now you have the graph [tex]y=2(x-1)(2x+5)(x-7)[/tex] and finally, take the negative.

Now do you know what [tex]y=-2(x-1)(2x+5)(x-7)[/tex] looks like?

i think I've figured it out, so basically i would divide both sides by -2, and when i divide and an equality by a -, i will hav eot change the direction of the sign

Yes you can do that too. But understanding what happens to the function when you multiply it by a negative constant would be a useful tool to have in your arsenal :wink:

As you say, the zeroes are -2.5, 1, and 7. Suppose x< -2.5. Then each of the factors is negative. Since there are 4 factors, counting the '-2', there product, and the function value, is positive. Now take x between -2.5 and 1. The single factor (2x+ 5)= -2(x- 2.5) changes sign so there are now three negative factors: the function value is negative between -2.5 and 1. Take x between 1 and 7. Now the x-1 factor changes sign to postive and there are now 2 negative factors: the function value is positive between 1 and 7. Finally, if x> 7, all factors except the '-2' are positive: for x> 7, the function value is negative.

Related to Finding the Interval for -2(x-1)(2x+5)(x-7) > 0

1. What is the interval for -2(x-1)(2x+5)(x-7) > 0?

The interval for -2(x-1)(2x+5)(x-7) > 0 is (-∞, -5/2) ∪ (1, 7).

2. How do I find the interval for -2(x-1)(2x+5)(x-7) > 0?

To find the interval for -2(x-1)(2x+5)(x-7) > 0, we need to first find the critical points by setting each term equal to 0 and solving for x. Then, we can plot these points on a number line and test intervals to determine which ones satisfy the inequality.

3. Can you explain the concept of "interval" in this context?

In this context, the interval refers to a range of values for which the given inequality is true. It can be represented on a number line as a shaded region between two points.

4. How do I know if a value is included or excluded from the interval?

In this case, the inequality is strict (>) so the interval does not include the critical points. This means that the interval is open and the endpoints are not included in the solution set.

5. What is the significance of finding the interval for this inequality?

Finding the interval helps us understand the range of values that satisfy the given inequality. It is useful in solving equations and inequalities, as well as in graphing functions and understanding their behavior.