Finding the Landing Point of a Missile Dropped from a Plane at an Angle

  • Thread starter Thread starter DeathEater
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Missile Plane
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
DeathEater
Messages
46
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


a plane, traveling at 200 m/s in the X direction, drops a missile which has a constant acceleration of 7 m/s^2 at an angle 10 degrees below horizontal. If the plane is 1250 m high when it fires, how far (in the x direction) from where it was fired will the missile come down?

Homework Equations


?

The Attempt at a Solution


I have absolutely no idea how to start this problem... could I possibly break the 7m/s^2 into y and x components using cosine, sine and the angle of 350 (10 degrees below the horizontal)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Bystander said:
Sounds like a start.
okay...well how can I possibly keep going after that?
 
DeathEater said:
okay...well how can I possibly keep going after that?
How about if you go that far and see if anything occurs to you.
 
phinds said:
How about if you go that far and see if anything occurs to you.
okay so I'm very much so struggling with this problem, but I tried to solve for the time when the missile will hit the ground

Δy=Voy(t) + ½ ay(t)2 → -1250= 0 (t) +½ (-1.2155) (t)2→ t= 45.35 seconds

is that correct so far?
 
Looks about right --- haven't got my calculator to check for dotting "i's" and crossing of "t's" as far as sin(10°), but definitely the correct ballpark and handling of the numbers. Please continue.
 
Bystander said:
Looks about right --- haven't got my calculator to check for dotting "i's" and crossing of "t's" as far as sin(10°), but definitely the correct ballpark and handling of the numbers. Please continue.
after that, I plugged t into the equation Vfx= Vox +ax(t) → Vfx= 200+(6.894)(45.35) → and got 512.643 m/s for Vfx. I then multiplied the final velocity by the time (45.35 seconds) to get the Δx, which is 23248.3555 m . Is that correct?
 
That non-zero initial velocity tripped you up. How far does the missile travel if the initial velocity is zero? You did fine with the y-component.
 
so should it just be (6.894)*(45.35) then? With that I get an initial of 312.643 and then multiplied by time I get 14178.3555 m
 
You used "d = (1/2)at2" for the y-component. I told you that was correct.