Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,706
don't forget to use the thanks button to thank those who helped.
Pranav-Arora said:Thanks!
Can I please have a few hints for P?
haruspex said:We know P by process of elimination, yes? Are you just looking for some independent way of finding the value?
Edit: hmmm... I was reading the question as implying a 1-1 matching between the integrals and the answers. maybe that was wrong.
##r \left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right)^{r+1}f(r) = r \left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right)^{r+1}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^r \sin(x).dx##
## = r \left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right)^{r+1}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} (\frac{\pi}{2}-x)^r \cos(x).dx = r \frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} (1-x\frac{2}{\pi})^r \cos(x).dx##
## = r \int_0^1 (1-x)^r \cos(x\frac{\pi}{2}).dx##
I'm running out of time to write this all out, but i think if you then integrate by parts the 'wrong' way you'll get an r/(r+1) term plus an integral with (1-x)^(r+1) sin(αx). If you break the range of integral at some small c > 0, you can take an upper bound for 1-x in one range and for sine in the other range such that both integrals can be shown to tend to 0 as r→∞.
But I was wrong last time.
Too complicated!haruspex said:##r \left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right)^{r+1}f(r) = r \left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right)^{r+1}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^r \sin(x).dx##
## = r \left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right)^{r+1}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} (\frac{\pi}{2}-x)^r \cos(x).dx = r \frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} (1-x\frac{2}{\pi})^r \cos(x).dx##
## = r \int_0^1 (1-x)^r \cos(x\frac{\pi}{2}).dx##
D H said:Too complicated!
There's no need for the change of variables here.
All that is needed is a relationship between ##f(r) \equiv \int_0^{\pi/2} x^r \sin x\,dx## and ##g(r) \equiv \int_0^{\pi/2} x^r \cos x\,dx##. Integration by parts will give that relationship. It's best to choose u and v such that ##uv\bigl|_0^{\pi/2} = 0##.
Very good.Pranav-Arora said:Hi D H! :)
I used integration by parts and got the following relations:
$$f(r)=rg(r-1)$$
$$g(r)=\frac{f(r+1)}{r+1}$$
For one thing, you can use it to show that Q and R are the same question. If you can solve one you can solve the other.How should I use the above?![]()
D H said:For one thing, you can use it to show that Q and R are the same question. If you can solve one you can solve the other.