Finding the limit of a velocity vector

In summary, the limit of dy/dx as t approaches infinity is 1, as the terms with e^-t can be neglected and the limit of e^t/e^t is simply 1.
jcook735

Homework Statement

A particle moves in the XY plane so that at any time t is greater than or equal to 0 its position (x,y) is given by x = e^t + e^-t and y = e^t - e^-t.

Find the limit as t approaches infinity of dy/dx.

Homework Equations

I found dy over dx to be e^t + e^-t over e^t - e^-t

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in infinity for t but it comes out as infinity over infinity, and then I tried L'Hôpital's rule and then multiplied by the reciprocal, but still nothing. I don't know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
As t goes to infinity, e^(-t) goes to zero, so you can neglect those terms.

Yeah I figured that, but that leaves me with e^t over e^t which ends up as infinity

The limit of e^t/e^t is just 1. Yes, "infinity over infinity" is an indeterminate form, but that just means that, for arbitrary limits that both go to infinity, you can't tell what the limit of their quotient is. If you know what the limits are, then you often can get an answer.

Look, e^t/e^t=1 for any finite t. How could it have any other limit than 1 at infinity (or anywhere else)? To make it rigorous, you could put a bound on the difference between your original quotient and this one, and show that the difference goes to 0 as t goes to infinity.

oh yeah. hahahahaha whoops. thanks man

1. What is a velocity vector?

A velocity vector is a mathematical representation of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is typically denoted by an arrow pointing in the direction of motion with a length proportional to the object's speed.

2. Why is it important to find the limit of a velocity vector?

Finding the limit of a velocity vector allows us to determine the maximum or minimum speed that an object can reach in a given direction. This is crucial for understanding an object's motion and predicting its future position.

3. How do you find the limit of a velocity vector?

The limit of a velocity vector can be found by taking the derivative of the position vector and setting it equal to zero. The resulting value will be the maximum or minimum speed in the given direction.

4. What is the difference between a velocity vector and a speed vector?

A velocity vector includes both the magnitude (speed) and direction of an object's motion, while a speed vector only represents the magnitude of the object's speed without indicating its direction.

5. Can the limit of a velocity vector change?

Yes, the limit of a velocity vector can change depending on various factors such as the object's mass, external forces acting on it, and the surface it is moving on. It is important to continuously monitor and recalculate the limit in order to accurately predict the object's motion.