1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the Magnitude of a Horizontal Force

1. Dec 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2.0 kg block on an incline at a 60 degree angle is held in equilibrium by a horizontal force.
    A) Determine the magnitude of this horizontal force (disregard friction)
    B) Determine the magnitude of the normal force on the block.

I have no idea which equation to use. All the equations I can find dont give me enough information to start the problem. The only equations that I can find include friction and other things not present in the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Hi GhostlyKiss, welcome to PF.
    Resolve the horizontal force into two components. One along the inclined plane ant the other perpendicular to the inclined plane. Similarly resolve the weight of the block. From these you can get the required results.

4. Dec 27, 2009 #3
    How do I resolve the horizontal force? Is Fn=mgcos[tex]\oslash[/tex] an equation I would use?

5. Dec 27, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

One component of mg is mgcosθ. What is the other component of mg along the inclined plane? Similarly find Fcosθ and Fsinθ. Identify their directions.

6. Dec 27, 2009 #5
    Ok thank you :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook