Finding the magnitude of an electric field with 5 charges.

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude of the electric field at the position of charge 4, which is placed in a row with five other charges of 1.00 μC magnitude, each being 1.00 m distant from its neighboring charges. The electric field is a vector, so you must take into account the direction of each constituent electric field when summing them using the superposition principle. The equations used are F14= k(q1q4)/(3-x)^2, F24=k(q2q4)/(2-x)^2, F34=k(q3q4)/(x)^2, and F54=k(q5q4)/(x)^2. The net electric field can be found by summing
Ganar
1. Five charges of 1.00 μC magnitude are placed in a row, each charge being 1.00 m distant from its neighboring charges. If all chargers are positive, what is the magnitude in N/C, of the electric field at the position of charge 4?
A) 0
B)2.13x10^-2
C)3.25x10^-3
D)3.25x10^3
E)2.13x10^4

2. Homework Equations :
kq/r^2

3. I used this equation yet it doesn't yield any of the solutions so I'm wondering if there is an extra step and if the fact that they are all positively charged effects the process of solving this type of problem. Help being pointed in the right direction would be helpful and equations used would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ganar,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
Ganar said:
1. Five charges of 1.00 μC magnitude are placed in a row, each charge being 1.00 m distant from its neighboring charges. If all chargers are positive, what is the magnitude in N/C, of the electric field at the position of charge 4?
A) 0
B)2.13x10^-2
C)3.25x10^-3
D)3.25x10^3
E)2.13x10^4

2. Homework Equations :
kq/r^2

3. I used this equation yet it doesn't yield any of the solutions so I'm wondering if there is an extra step and if the fact that they are all positively charged effects the process of solving this type of problem. Help being pointed in the right direction would be helpful and equations used would be greatly appreciated.

Don't forget that the electric field is a vector. It has both magnitude and direction.

When you add together multiple electric fields using the superposition principle, you must add them together as vectors. :wink:

So that means I would get a set of equations like so:
F14= k(q1q4)/(3-x)^2
F24=k(q2q4)/(2-x)^2
F34=k(q3q4)/(x)^2
F54=k(q5q4)/(x)^2
And I set these all equal to each other and will end up with a quadratic expression then use the quadratic formula to solve the problem?

Ganar said:
So that means I would get a set of equations like so:
F14= k(q1q4)/(3-x)^2
F24=k(q2q4)/(2-x)^2
F34=k(q3q4)/(x)^2
F54=k(q5q4)/(x)^2
That's pretty much the general form of each constituent force. But you're forgetting about the direction. Force, like electric field, is a vector. For example, is q2 pushing q4 to the right or to the left? Which direction does q5 push q4?

And since you're tasked with finding the electric field at the point (not the force), so you'll have to remove one of the variables from the above equations*.

*(Personally, I think the problem would have made more sense asking you for the force rather than the electric field. It arguably makes things less clear asking for the electric field at the point where q4 is, when q4 is still there. So treat this problem as q4 being removed, and as if asking for the electric field at the point where q4 would have been if it were still there.)
And I set these all equal to each other and will end up with a quadratic expression then use the quadratic formula to solve the problem?
No, you don't set them all equal to each other.

The superposition principle states the the net electric field is the vector sum of the individual constituent electric fields. You need to sum them. But you must sum them as vectors, taking their direction into account.

Alright thank you I'll keep working at it if I have anymore questions I'll go ahead and ask them. Thanks again for the help!

1. How do you find the magnitude of an electric field with 5 charges?

To find the magnitude of an electric field with 5 charges, you can use the principle of superposition. This means you can calculate the electric field at any point by adding up the individual electric fields due to each of the 5 charges.

2. What is the equation for finding the magnitude of an electric field with 5 charges?

The equation for finding the magnitude of an electric field with 5 charges is E = k * Q / r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the source, and r is the distance from the source to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

3. Can the magnitude of an electric field with 5 charges be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of an electric field with 5 charges can be negative. This means that the electric field is directed in the opposite direction of the positive charge. However, the magnitude itself is always positive.

4. How does the distance between charges affect the magnitude of an electric field with 5 charges?

The magnitude of an electric field with 5 charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that the farther away the charges are, the weaker the electric field will be. Similarly, the closer the charges are, the stronger the electric field will be.

5. Can the magnitude of an electric field with 5 charges be calculated for a point inside the charges?

Yes, the magnitude of an electric field with 5 charges can be calculated for a point inside the charges. However, the equation for calculating the electric field in this case would be more complex and involve vector addition of the individual electric fields from each charge. It is often easier to calculate the electric field at a point outside the charges.