1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the magnitude of an object's angular momentum about the origin.

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1.4 kg object at x = 2.00 m, y = 3.10 m moves at 4.9 m/s at an angle 45° north of east. Calculate the magnitude of the object's angular momentum about the origin.

Answer is 5.3 kg m^2 /s

2. Relevant equations
    These were the only three I could think of:
    L=Iω
    L=mvr
    ω=v/r

3. The attempt at a solution

First attempt:

L=mvr

L= (1.4)(4.9)sqrt(4+3.1^2)

L=25.3077, not the right answer

Second attempt:

Diagram here.
    I tried to find the tangential velocity as shown:

∠2 = arctan (3.10/2.00) = 57.17°

Vtan = 4.9cos(45) / cos(57.17) = 6.390914 m/s

ω=v/r=6.390914/Sqrt(4+3.1^2) = 1.73234 rad/s

Then I'm not really sure how to proceed after this because I'm not entirely sure what equation to use for I.

Third attempt:

Vtan=v ∴

L=1.4(6.390914)(sqrt(4+3.1^2) = 8.94728 m/s, not the right answer

Is my diagram wrong or am I missing something very important?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The magnitude of the angular momentum is L=mvr sin(theta), theta is the angle between the position vector and velocity.. Find theta. You almost have done.

The angular momentum is the vector (cross-) product of the position vector with the linear momentum. [tex]\vec L = m\vec r \times\vec v [/tex].You have the position vector [itex]2\vec i +3.1 \vec j[/itex]. You can write up the velocity vector with its components, perform the product and determine the magnitude of the vector L

ehild

4. Nov 5, 2012 #3
    There was a response about finding the cross product of mr x v. I did this already, but I guess I made some small mistake the first time around. I have found the correct answer. Thank you whoever you are (I forgot your username, but I remember it was something like ehlib.

5. Nov 5, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It was me, but I changed my post after I saw your drawing. So all is good at last :smile:

ehild

6. Nov 5, 2012 #5
    Yes, I saw that earlier... I also tried doing that the first time around; however, I must have made a minor mistake somewhere because I found the correct answer using this method. Thank you very much! Here is my work for those looking for the solution:

Position vector is:
    2.00i + 3.10 j

Multiply that by m=1.4 kg, which gives:

2.89i + 4.34 j

Then you must find the x and y components of the velocity. Since it is at a 45-degree angle, both components are equal to each other:

4.9(cos 45) = 3.4648 m/s

Which gives us the velocity vector:

3.4648i + 3.4648j

You then find the cross product of mr x v which will give L = -5.335792.
    Since it's asking for magnitude, the answer is 5.335792.

7. Nov 5, 2012 #6
    Thank you very much, sir. :)

8. Nov 5, 2012 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are welcome!
    You get the same result from L=mrvsin(theta)

ehild

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook