Finding the magnitude of an object's angular momentum about the origin.

In summary: Yes, I know. However, I did not use that equation because I was unsure of how to find the angle between the position vector and the velocity vector. I assumed it was 45 degrees because of the given information, but I wasn't sure if that was correct.
penguinnnnnx5

Homework Statement

A 1.4 kg object at x = 2.00 m, y = 3.10 m moves at 4.9 m/s at an angle 45° north of east. Calculate the magnitude of the object's angular momentum about the origin.

Answer is 5.3 kg m^2 /s

Homework Equations

These were the only three I could think of:
L=Iω
L=mvr
ω=v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

First attempt:

L=mvr

L= (1.4)(4.9)sqrt(4+3.1^2)

L=25.3077, not the right answer

Second attempt:

Diagram here.
I tried to find the tangential velocity as shown:

∠2 = arctan (3.10/2.00) = 57.17°

Vtan = 4.9cos(45) / cos(57.17) = 6.390914 m/s

ω=v/r=6.390914/Sqrt(4+3.1^2) = 1.73234 rad/s

Then I'm not really sure how to proceed after this because I'm not entirely sure what equation to use for I.

Third attempt:

Vtan=v ∴

L=1.4(6.390914)(sqrt(4+3.1^2) = 8.94728 m/s, not the right answer

Is my diagram wrong or am I missing something very important?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
penguinnnnnx5 said:

Homework Statement

A 1.4 kg object at x = 2.00 m, y = 3.10 m moves at 4.9 m/s at an angle 45° north of east. Calculate the magnitude of the object's angular momentum about the origin.

Answer is 5.3 kg m^2 /s

Homework Equations

These were the only three I could think of:
L=Iω
L=mvr
ω=v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

First attempt:

L=mvr

L= (1.4)(4.9)sqrt(4+3.1^2)

L=25.3077, not the right answer

Second attempt:

Diagram here.
I tried to find the tangential velocity as shown:

∠2 = arctan (3.10/2.00) = 57.17°

Vtan = 4.9cos(45) / cos(57.17) = 6.390914 m/s

ω=v/r=6.390914/Sqrt(4+3.1^2) = 1.73234 rad/s

Then I'm not really sure how to proceed after this because I'm not entirely sure what equation to use for I.

Third attempt:

Vtan=v ∴

L=1.4(6.390914)(sqrt(4+3.1^2) = 8.94728 m/s, not the right answer

Is my diagram wrong or am I missing something very important?

The magnitude of the angular momentum is L=mvr sin(theta), theta is the angle between the position vector and velocity.. Find theta. You almost have done.

The angular momentum is the vector (cross-) product of the position vector with the linear momentum. [tex]\vec L = m\vec r \times\vec v [/tex].You have the position vector [itex]2\vec i +3.1 \vec j[/itex]. You can write up the velocity vector with its components, perform the product and determine the magnitude of the vector L
ehild

There was a response about finding the cross product of mr x v. I did this already, but I guess I made some small mistake the first time around. I have found the correct answer. Thank you whoever you are (I forgot your username, but I remember it was something like ehlib.

It was me, but I changed my post after I saw your drawing. So all is good at last :smile:

ehild

ehild said:
The magnitude of the angular momentum is L=mvr sin(theta), theta is the angle between the position vector and velocity.. Find theta. You almost have done.

The angular momentum is the vector (cross-) product of the position vector with the linear momentum. [tex]\vec L = m\vec r \times\vec v [/tex].You have the position vector [itex]2\vec i +3.1 \vec j[/itex]. You can write up the velocity vector with its components, perform the product and determine the magnitude of the vector L

ehild

Yes, I saw that earlier... I also tried doing that the first time around; however, I must have made a minor mistake somewhere because I found the correct answer using this method. Thank you very much! Here is my work for those looking for the solution:

Position vector is:
2.00i + 3.10 j

Multiply that by m=1.4 kg, which gives:

2.89i + 4.34 j

Then you must find the x and y components of the velocity. Since it is at a 45-degree angle, both components are equal to each other:

4.9(cos 45) = 3.4648 m/s

Which gives us the velocity vector:

3.4648i + 3.4648j

You then find the cross product of mr x v which will give L = -5.335792.
Since it's asking for magnitude, the answer is 5.335792.

Thank you very much, sir. :)

You are welcome!
You get the same result from L=mrvsin(theta)

ehild

Attachments

• angular momentum.JPG
    angular momentum.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 956
Last edited:

1. How is angular momentum defined?

Angular momentum is defined as the measurement of an object's rotational motion, taking into account its mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation. Mathematically, it is represented by the symbol L and is equal to the product of an object's moment of inertia (I) and its angular velocity (ω).

2. How is the magnitude of angular momentum calculated?

The magnitude of angular momentum can be calculated using the formula L = Iω, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity of the object. The units of angular momentum are kilogram-meters squared per second (kg·m^2/s).

3. What is the significance of finding the magnitude of an object's angular momentum about the origin?

Finding the magnitude of an object's angular momentum about the origin is important in understanding the rotational motion of the object. It can help determine the stability and energy of the system, and is also useful in many engineering and physics applications such as spacecraft navigation and gyroscopic stabilization.

4. How does the direction of angular momentum affect its magnitude?

The direction of angular momentum is perpendicular to both the radius vector and the angular velocity vector of the object. This means that the direction of angular momentum is always perpendicular to the plane of rotation. The magnitude of angular momentum is directly proportional to the object's moment of inertia and angular velocity, and is independent of its direction.

5. Can angular momentum be conserved?

Yes, angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant over time. This conservation law is known as the law of angular momentum conservation and is based on the principle of inertia.