Finding the mass of a hockey puck - inertia

  • Thread starter Thread starter crewrules101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inertia Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
crewrules101
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Finding the mass of a hockey puck - inertia!

An ice hockey puck slides along the ice at 12m/s. A hockey stick delivers an impulse of 4.5 kg * m/s, causing the puck to move off in the opposite direction with the same speed. What is the mass of the puck. Friction and drag are negligible.

Any Ideas? I am completely lost.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Units...

Thanks!

Yes my units are correct. I was skimming over my notes from class and I believe we have to use the ∆px=jx=area under the curve equation

to find the ball's momentum:

m(vf)x-m(vi)x but then I don't have "m" this whole thing is equal to jx

and then the area under the curve

jx=fmax • ∆time

but I have jx and the velocities, but not the mass or the fMax
 
crewrules101 said:
Thanks!

Yes my units are correct. I was skimming over my notes from class and I believe we have to use the ∆px=jx=area under the curve equation

to find the ball's momentum:

m(vf)x-m(vi)x but then I don't have "m" this whole thing is equal to jx

and then the area under the curve

jx=fmax • ∆time

but I have jx and the velocities, but not the mass or the fMax
oh sorry, you're actually ahead of me :-p hopefully someone will be able to help you tonight.
 
Last edited: