1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the matrix with respect to two bases

1. Jan 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If I am giving a matrix A representing the linear transformation L(x) = Ax, then A is the matrix-representation of L with respect to the basis elements in the vector-space S (standard).

If I am now given another vectorspace V by the matrix V, and I want to find the matrix B representing L with respect to the bases S and V, I use:

B = V^(-1) * S.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is what I wrote correct?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerly, Niles.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know what you mean by "given another vectorspace V by the matrix V". First, since you were able to write L as a matrix using one basis for S, the L must be a transformation from S to itself- you can't be "given another vector space V". Second, since a vectorspace and a matrix are different objects, "vectorspace V" and "matrix V" makes no sense. I suspect you mean that you are given a new basis (as columns of a matrix?) for the same vectorspace S. The standard way of representing a linear transformation from U to V, as a matrix, for given bases of U and V is: Apply the transformation to each basis vector of U in turn. Right the result in terms of basis V. The coefficients give a column of the matrix.

For example, suppose L:R2-> R2 takes basis vector <1, 0> to <4, 2>. If {<1, 1>, <1, -1>} is another basis, then <4, 2>= 3<1,1>+ 1<1,-1>. The first column is <3, 1>.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?