1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation matrix with respect to two bases?

1. Dec 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##S = \{1, e^x, e^{-x}, e^{2x}, e^{-2x}\}## and ##B = \{1, sinh(x),cosh(x), sinh(2x), cosh(2x)\}##. S spans the vector space V, and a linear transformation T: V -> V is defined by T(y) = y'' - 3y' - 4y.

(a) Find the representation matrix of T with respect to the bases S and B.
    (b) Use the change of basis matrix (transition matrix) P, from S to B, to find the representation matrix of T with respect to the bases B and B.

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) I don't understand what it means to find a single transformation matrix for two different bases.

(b) I already found the change of basis matrix P from S to B by representing the elements in S in terms of the ones in B and set them as columns of the matrix P. But again, I don't understand what it means to use this change of basis to find a transformation matrix for two different bases, but this time the two bases are the same bases?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have two vectors related by ##\vec{y} = T(\vec{x})##. You're used to working with one basis to represent both ##\vec{x}## and ##\vec{y}## and find the matrix of T that relates the coordinate vectors, but you don't have to use the same basis for both. One vector could be represented relative to B while the other is relative to S. Since you'll have a different coordinate vector for one of the vectors, the matrix for T will be different.

4. Dec 11, 2013 #3
    Then I really don't understand the questions because it's asking for a transformation matrix with respect to both S and B, and then another transformation matrix with respect to B and also B again?

5. Dec 11, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You want to find matrices TBB and TSB (or TBS — the question isn't clear). They're related by P.

TSB, for example, takes the coordinates of ##\vec{x}## wrt to basis B and gives you the coordinates of ##\vec{y}## wrt basis S.

TBB takes the coordinates of ##\vec{x}## wrt to basis B and gives you the coordinates of ##\vec{y}## wrt basis B.

Sorry...I have to run...I'll post a bit later if someone else already hasn't.

6. Dec 11, 2013 #5
    Okay, for T(y) = y'' - 3y' - 4y, I found the matrix that takes S and transforms it into coordinates wrt S. I just took the derivatives of each element of S and plugged them into T(y) and found ##\{-4, -6e^x, 0, -6e^{2x}, 6e^{-2x}\}## so I just put each element in its respective positive in each column.

So for part (a), I want to take S, transform the basis into B by using P, and then somehow get a transformation for this new basis B, but I only have a transformation that takes me from S to S. What should I do here?

7. Dec 11, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Let me use a simple example with two basis vectors. The two bases are S={sinh x, cosh x} and B={ex, e-x}. Suppose we have the linear transformation T(y) = y'.

cosh x = T(sinh x) would correspond to
    \begin{align*}
    \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}_S &= T_{SS}\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}_S \\
    \begin{pmatrix} 1/2 \\ 1/2 \end{pmatrix}_B &= T_{BS}\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}_S \\
    \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}_S &= T_{SB}\begin{pmatrix} 1/2 \\ -1/2 \end{pmatrix}_B \\
    \begin{pmatrix} 1/2 \\ 1/2 \end{pmatrix}_B &= T_{BB}\begin{pmatrix} 1/2 \\ -1/2 \end{pmatrix}_B
    \end{align*} depending on which basis you use for the domain and which basis you use for the range.

8. Dec 11, 2013 #7
    For the 2nd transformation you listed, how do I obtain that ##T_{BS}##? Is it the same thing as changing the basis S into basis B, then applying the transformation with respect to B to obtain the same answer?

I think I got part (b) by doing this: ##T_{BB} = PT_{SS}P^{-1}## where ##T_{SS}## is the transformation I listed above

9. Dec 11, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have
    $$\sinh x = (1) \sinh x + (0) \cosh x = \left(\frac{1}{2}\right) e^x + \left(-\frac{1}{2}\right) e^{-x}$$ so with respect to the two bases, the representation for sinh x is ##\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}## and ##\begin{pmatrix} 1/2 \\ -1/2 \end{pmatrix}##. You can do the same thing for cosh x. I just plugged in the various representations for sinh x and cosh x to get the four equations.

I'm not sure if this answers your question.

10. Dec 11, 2013 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you're asking how to get the matrix itself, the second equation tells you the first column of TBS is ##\begin{pmatrix} 1/2 \\ 1/2 \end{pmatrix}##. If you don't see this, just multiply in the vector ##\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}## into a 2x2 matrix, and you'll see you get the first column. You can get the second column similarly, by multiplying by ##\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}##.

11. Dec 11, 2013 #10
    For the second equation, you have ##(1,0)T_{BS} = (1/2, 1/2)##. I was asking how to obtain the general matrix ##T_{BS}## to directly transform something in S directly to some coordinates in B.

12. Dec 11, 2013 #11
    When something says a matrix is respect to 'B' how can you tell if it means with respect to 'S to B' or 'B to B'? It says that when T is a transformation with respect to 'S', ##PTP^{-1}## is = to the transformation with respect to B.

13. Dec 11, 2013 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If only one basis is specified, you can assume both the domain and range are expressed in this basis.

In your example, matrix ##P## maps the representation of a vector wrt to S to its representation wrt B. ##P^{-1}## goes in the opposite direction. So you have
    \begin{align*}
    \vec{x}_S &= P^{-1}\vec{x}_B \\
    \vec{y}_S &= T\vec{x}_S = TP^{-1}\vec{x}_B \\
    \vec{y}_B &= P\vec{y}_S = PTP^{-1}\vec{x}_B
    \end{align*} You can therefore identify ##PTP^{-1}## as the matrix of T with respect to B.

14. Dec 11, 2013 #13
    I am still having trouble understanding how to get the transformations. From your example here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4599971&postcount=6

The 3rd equation from the top. It means that some 2x2 transformation matrix multiplied on the left side of some arbitrary vector in B will equal to some arbitrary vector in S, correct? So my goal here is to find that 2x2 transformation matrix. However, in order to solve for this 2x2 transformation matrix, I need the inverse of a 2x1 matrix which is impossible. So how can I solve for the 2x2 matrix ##T_{SB}## in your example?

15. Dec 12, 2013 #14

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Do you know how to find the matrix for T(y)=y' if you're just dealing with one basis, say S={sinh x, cosh x}?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted