1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the maximum volume of a cone

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In England, you can purchase fish and chips for a reasonable price. The reason it is so reasonable is because they give you no silverware, nor a plate. They just roll up a piece of paper in a cone and toss your food in. The vendors need to roll the cone in a perfect size, not too fat nor too skinny. Find out how to optimize the volume of the cone. For modeling purposes, assume that the piece of paper is a circle of radius 5 inches, and that we are cutting a wedge out of it whose central angle is Θ. Find the maximum volume of this cone.

2. Relevant equations

A = 2πr

i need to find out a formula to subtract the cut out wedge of the circle from the rest of the circle.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am stuck trying to find a main formula. I would think that after i get that formula, i find the derivative and then set it equal to zero, and solve.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your relevant equation is irrelevant. That's not the area of a circle; it's the circumference. Some actually relevant equations that you should look up are the area of a circle, the volume of a cone, and the area of a sector of a circle. See if you can find those in your textbook.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  4. Oct 27, 2009 #3
    ok, i found out the volume forumula
    i divided the cone into 2 right triangles, using 5 as the hypotenuse, and r as the radius of the base of the cone.

so i have

V = (1/3)(pi)(square root of 25 - x squared)(x squared)

i am working on finding the derivative but there is so much work with the product rule, chain rule, and quotient rule, i think i may have screwed up somewhere

so far i am at,

dV/dx = [(1/3)(pi)][(1/2)(25-x^2)^(-1/2) *-2x] * 2x + x^2 * (derivative of first part)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  5. Oct 27, 2009 #4

Mark44

This really doesn't make any sense. A cone is a 3D object. How can you divide it up into two triangles, which are 2D objects.
    You're jumping into this problem without setting yourself up with the formulas you need. The volume of a right circular cone (what you're dealing with) is V = 1/3 * pi * r^2 * h. That's one of your relevant formulas.

Another one is the area of a sector of a circle, sort of like a wedge of pie of any size. This formula is A = (1/2)[itex]\theta r^2[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is measured in radians.

6. Oct 27, 2009 #5
    V = 1/3 * pi * r^2 * h

thats what i had, but i substituted in h in terms of x but using pythagorean.

x^2 + h^2 = 5 ^2

h^2 = 25 - x^2
    h = square root of (25 - x^2)

http://z.about.com/d/math/1/5/t/L/conerr.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Oct 27, 2009 #6

Mark44

Even with the picture, this formula still doesn't make any sense. You used 5 for the radius. What does x represent? What does sqrt(25 - x^2) represent?
    You're also not taking into account that the circular piece of paper has a wedge cut out of it.

8. Oct 27, 2009 #7
    the sqrt(25 - x^2) represented h. x represented the radius (r in the picture). 5 represented the S on the picture.

i thought the A = (1/2)theta r^2 would be irrelevent because i'm trying to find volume, not area?

9. Oct 27, 2009 #8

Mark44

OK, now it makes sense. It would have helped me understand better if you had explained what your were doing to get the formula you showed.

The 5 dimension in the drawing is what is called the slant height of the cone. Here's your formula again, this time with r instead of x. r matches your diagram and suggests what it represents, the radius of the cone.

[tex]V(r)~=~(1/3)\pi r^2(25 - r^2)^{1/2}[/tex]

Now you want to take the derivative. You'll need to use the product rule and then the chain rule, in that order.

10. Oct 27, 2009 #9
    ok cool.

so v'(r) = (1/3)pi(r^2)*(-1/(2*sqrt(25 - x^2)) + [(25-r^2)^(1/2)]*[(2/3)*pi*r]

correct?

11. Oct 27, 2009 #10

Mark44

No. In the chain rule, you forgot the factor that comes from d/dr(25 - r^2). Also, since V is now a function of r, then V'(r) shouldn't have any x's floating around in it.

12. Jan 20, 2011 #11
    Ok so if you don't want to use calculus you can AM-GM it.
    So the volume of the cone would be pi(r^2)h/3.
    Arc length=circumference of cone=theta/360*10pi
    so the radius of the cone=(theta/360*10pi)/2pi = theta/72
    the slant height of the cone is 5 so the height is sqrt(25-(theta/72)^2)
    so the volume of the cone is pi(theta/72)^2*sqrt(25-(theta/72)^2)/3
    now all we have to do is find the maximum of this equation
    we can get rid of the /3 and pi because those are constant
    if we let x=(theta/72)^2 then the formula becomes (x)sqrt(25-x)
    much simpler, eh?
    this formula is maximized when (x^2)(25-x) is maximized (for obvious reasons)
    so now we can use AM-GM on the formula (x^2)(50-2x), which is maximized when the three terms are closest to eachother
    so we let x=x=50-2x and 50/3
    going back to what we defined x to be, x=50/3=(theta/72)^2
    theta=293.939 degrees and you're done!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook