Finding the meaning of a limit using a graph

In summary, the conversation was about finding the meaning and value of a formula in calculus for a particular value of x. The suggestion was made to look up "derivatives and sharp turns" for more information. The answer for part b was given, but it was advised not to start a new thread for the same question. Some confusion arose over the notation used in the problem.
ttpp1124
Homework Statement
The graph is a separate image (it didn't print with the worksheet for some reason). I filled in the blanks, but I wasn't sure how to approach part b)
Relevant Equations
n/a
IMG_3899.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 7.40.33 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
ttpp1124 said:
I filled in the blanks, but I wasn't sure how to approach part b)

I should think that you can find the meaning of that expression in your calculus book. As for the value, you will probably need to review limits in order to evaluate it properly.

Imagine you have small, tiny, values for h, (both positive and negative?). Then look at the graph and see what that formula would give. The formula is in the form of "the rise over the run" at a particular value of x. Do you know what value of x it is located at? Do you know what that leads to?

I suggest you look up "derivatives and sharp turns" for the meaning and value at x= -2.

You posted the same question in a new thread. This was your answer in that thread.
ttpp1124 said:
My answer for 12b:
If the limit exists, it’s the derivative of 𝑓 at 𝑥=−2. But, the limit doesn’t exist. To see this, calculate the one-sided limits as h approaches zero from the right, and from the left. They both exist, but they are not the same, so the limit does not exist, meaning 𝑓 is not differentiable at 𝑥=−2
Correct, but please don't start a new thread for the same question. I have deleted the new thread.

I worry that perhaps they meant to write h→0+. Or maybe that's the trap you avoided.

What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the notation "lim f(x) as x approaches a."

How is a limit defined using a graph?

A limit is defined using a graph by looking at the behavior of the function as the input values get closer and closer to the specified value. The limit is the value that the function gets closer and closer to, but may not necessarily reach.

How can a graph help find the meaning of a limit?

A graph can help find the meaning of a limit by visualizing the behavior of the function and identifying any patterns or trends. It can also provide a visual representation of the limit and help determine its value.

What is the importance of understanding limits in calculus?

Understanding limits is crucial in calculus as they are used to define important concepts such as continuity, derivatives, and integrals. They also allow us to solve complex problems involving rates of change and optimization.

What are some common misconceptions about finding the meaning of a limit using a graph?

One common misconception is that the limit is equal to the value of the function at the specified point. However, a limit may not necessarily be equal to the function value. Another misconception is that a function must be defined at the specified point in order for a limit to exist, but this is not always the case.