Finding the natural frequency of a cylinder oscillating on a circular surface

In summary, the person is struggling with a problem involving the rotation of a cylinder, and has made three attempts at solving it. They are unsure if their solutions are correct and are seeking insight and feedback. They discuss different methods of approaching the problem, including using the parallel axis theorem and considering the cylinder's rotation about its point of contact with the dish. In their third attempt, they mention using the moment method, but are unsure if this is the correct approach. Overall, they are seeking clarification on their solutions.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Here is the problem with my 3 attempts:
LVGDf.jpg

1. Alright, so the first attempt, I did not take into account the rotation of the cylinder ωc so I think it is wrong. But it seems to make sense because the whole cylinder rotates about O, so if I find that energy using parallel axis theorem it should get me the correct answer?

2. Here I said the energy from the cylinder is due to the rotational energy of the cylinder itself and also the velocity of the cylinder. I think this one is correct, what do you guys think?

3. I am not sure how to use moment to solve for the natural frequency. For some reason it gave me the same answer as 1. which I think is wrong. Is this one correct?

I know this is a long question, but if anyone could give me some insight on whether or not I did it right, it would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation in (1) is missing a factor 1/2 on the θ2, but it appears in the following line. As you say, the energy expression is incomplete, missing the rotational energy. There are several ways to express the total KE. E.g. you can consider the cylinder as rotating about its point of contact with the dish and use the parallel axis theorem. In this view, there is no other KE term.
Writing down the energy equation then differentiating doesn't seem to me to be using the 'energy method'. That transforms it into moment method. You could get the equation into the form θ-dot = etc. then do a trig substitution to integrate.
(2) is the better effort, but it seems to me you have again lost the factor 1/2 on the θ2, and this time it does not reappear.

1. What is natural frequency in relation to a cylinder oscillating on a circular surface?

Natural frequency is the frequency at which an object oscillates without any external forces acting on it. For a cylinder oscillating on a circular surface, this means the frequency at which the cylinder will naturally vibrate back and forth without any outside influence.

2. How do you calculate the natural frequency of a cylinder on a circular surface?

The natural frequency of a cylinder on a circular surface can be calculated using the equation f = (1/2π) * √(g/R), where f is the natural frequency, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and R is the radius of the circular surface.

3. What factors affect the natural frequency of a cylinder on a circular surface?

The natural frequency of a cylinder on a circular surface is affected by the mass of the cylinder, the radius of the circular surface, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, the material and shape of the cylinder can also affect its natural frequency.

4. How does the natural frequency of a cylinder on a circular surface relate to its stability?

The natural frequency of a cylinder on a circular surface is directly related to its stability. If the natural frequency of the cylinder matches the frequency of the external forces acting on it, resonance can occur and cause instability. However, if the natural frequency is different from the external forces, the cylinder will remain stable.

5. How can the natural frequency of a cylinder on a circular surface be changed?

The natural frequency of a cylinder on a circular surface can be changed by altering its mass or the radius of the circular surface. Additionally, changing the material or shape of the cylinder can also affect its natural frequency. External forces, such as adding a motor or a weight, can also change the natural frequency of the cylinder.