1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the natural frequency of a set of data

1. Mar 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all, I'm having an issue with a homework problem. I'm taking a vibrations class and in our lab we had a cantilever beam with a mass on the end. There is an accelerometer on the beam and we used an impulse hammer to hit the beam. We had software that recorded all the frequency, force and accelerations of the beam while it was vibrating and it was put all into an excel file. From this given data we then have to find the natural frequency of the beam. I am racking my brain trying to figure out how to go about doing this but I'm stumped. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Relevant equations
    I know how to find the natural frequency with the given mass and stiffness values but we need to be able to find it using the given data that was recorded during the experiment.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is where I need the help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Has your class discussed Fourier Transforms?

And if so, your professor should have made some software available to you for taking the Fourier Transform of your data

4. Mar 28, 2009 #3

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

agindy86: In your output data, look for the maximum peaks of the displacement response magnitude. Obtain the time period between these maximum peaks.

5. Mar 28, 2009 #4
    First off, thank you for your help. And no we have not discussed fourier transforms. I'll look into finding the maximum peaks between time periods. Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook