Finding the optimal launch for a projectile?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving an equation for the maximum distance traveled by a water balloon launched off a cliff, taking into account the initial velocity and neglecting air resistance. The conversation also mentions using this equation to find the optimal angle for the balloon to reach the maximum distance. It is noted that the person attempted to use kinematics to solve the problem, but was unsuccessful and is seeking assistance. The conversation concludes with a reference to the Wikipedia page on projectile trajectory.
Boatman(J)
Suppose I wanted to launch a water balloon off a cliff of a known height of H and known initial Velocity of Vo, where we can neglect air resistance. Using Newton's Second Law and differentiating it, how can i derive an equation for maximum distance traveled (xmax) at an angle theta? Then from the equation derived for xmax, how can I create another equation that can be use to derive the optimal angle which allows the balloon to travel the xmax? I will then use that equation for the optimal angle to find the optimal angle by root finding with the use of fzero in matlab.

I did this through kinematics but it was done wrong and kept telling me that optimal angle was 89 degress.

Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the optimal launch angle for a projectile?

The optimal launch angle for a projectile depends on various factors such as the initial velocity, air resistance, and the desired distance of the projectile. Generally, the optimal launch angle is between 45 and 60 degrees for maximum range.

2. How does air resistance affect the optimal launch for a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, slows down the projectile and reduces its range. As the angle of launch increases, so does the air resistance, which can affect the optimal launch angle. This is why the optimal launch angle is typically not at 90 degrees, as it would result in the highest air resistance.

3. What is the role of initial velocity in finding the optimal launch for a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile plays a crucial role in determining its optimal launch angle. Higher initial velocities will result in a flatter trajectory and a larger range, whereas lower initial velocities will require a higher launch angle for maximum distance.

4. How can one determine the optimal launch for a projectile?

The optimal launch for a projectile can be determined through mathematical calculations using the projectile's initial velocity, air resistance, and desired distance. Additionally, conducting experiments with different launch angles and measuring the resulting range can also help determine the optimal launch angle.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when finding the optimal launch for a projectile?

Apart from initial velocity and air resistance, other factors such as wind speed and direction, gravity, and the shape and weight of the projectile can also affect the optimal launch angle. These factors should be taken into account when determining the optimal launch for a projectile.