Optimal launch angle on an uneven ground

In summary, the conversation is about finding the optimal angle for simple projectiles free-falling under a uniform gravitational field. The speaker presents an equation and a derivative equation, but is unsure how to solve for the launch angle when there is a non-zero initial height. Another person suggests using Lagrange's multiplier method to find a solution, which involves setting up a function and using partial derivatives.
throneoo
Hi guys,

I was working on a formula for the optimal angle for simple point-like projectiles free-falling under a uniform g-field but I got stuck.

after a simple derivation , I obtained the following equation:

R=(vcos(@)/g)(vsin(@)+((vsin(@))^2+2gh)^0.5)

where R , @ , h are respectively the range as it reaches the ground , launch angle and initial height

I then took a derivative w.r.t. @ and set dR/d@ =0 , and obtained the following equation:

vsin^2(@)+ksin(@)=vcos^2(@)+(v^2sin(@)cos^2(@))/k

where k=((vsin(@))^2+2gh)^0.5

I'm quite certain that I got everything right as when h=0 , the equation reduces to tan(@)^2=1 and immediately yields @=pi/4

but with a non-zero 'h' I fail to see how I can solve for @ in terms of the parameters via normal algebraic methods..

How else can I work on it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried that a bit differently, and obtained the following: $$ R \propto \alpha \left(\beta + \sqrt {\beta^2 + K} \right),$$ where $$ K = {2gh \over v^2} $$ and ##\alpha, \beta## are the cosine and sine of the launch angle, because of which we have $$ \alpha^2 + \beta^2 = 1. $$ Using Lagrange's multiplier method, let $$ F(\alpha, \beta, \lambda) = \alpha \left(\beta + \sqrt {\beta^2 + K} \right) + \lambda \left(\alpha^2 + \beta^2 - 1\right) .$$ Then $$ {\partial F \over \partial \alpha} = \left(\beta + \sqrt {\beta^2 + K} \right) + 2 \lambda \alpha = 0, $$ $$ {\partial F \over \partial \beta} = \alpha \left(1 + {\beta \over \sqrt {\beta^2 + K} } \right) + 2 \lambda \beta = 0. $$ The latter two equations yield $$ 2 \lambda \alpha^2 = 2 \lambda \beta \sqrt {\beta^2 + K}, $$ which, combined with ## \alpha^2 + \beta^2 = 1 ##, results in $$ 1 - \beta^2 = \beta \sqrt {\beta^2 + K}. $$ Subsequent steps should be trivial.

Likes 1 person

What is the optimal launch angle for a projectile on an uneven ground?

The optimal launch angle for a projectile on an uneven ground depends on various factors such as the velocity of the projectile, the angle of the uneven ground, and the distance to the target. It is generally accepted that the optimal launch angle is 45 degrees, but this may vary depending on the specific conditions.

How does the angle of the uneven ground affect the optimal launch angle?

The angle of the uneven ground plays a significant role in determining the optimal launch angle. In general, the steeper the angle of the uneven ground, the lower the optimal launch angle will be. This is because a steeper angle will require a greater initial velocity to overcome the force of gravity and reach the target.

Can the optimal launch angle change on different types of uneven ground?

Yes, the optimal launch angle can change on different types of uneven ground. This is because the angle of the ground, as well as the material and texture of the ground, can affect the friction and resistance the projectile experiences. As a result, the optimal launch angle may need to be adjusted for different types of uneven ground.

What happens if the optimal launch angle is not used on an uneven ground?

If the optimal launch angle is not used on an uneven ground, the projectile may not reach its intended target. Depending on the angle and the conditions, the projectile may overshoot or fall short of the target. This can also affect the accuracy and precision of the projectile's trajectory.

How can the optimal launch angle be determined for a specific uneven ground?

The optimal launch angle can be determined for a specific uneven ground by using mathematical equations, computer simulations, or experimental testing. These methods take into account various factors such as the angle and texture of the ground, as well as the properties of the projectile, to calculate the optimal launch angle for the desired target.