Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimal launch angle on an uneven ground

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1
    Hi guys,

I was working on a formula for the optimal angle for simple point-like projectiles free-falling under a uniform g-field but I got stuck.

after a simple derivation , I obtained the following equation:

R=(vcos(@)/g)(vsin(@)+((vsin(@))^2+2gh)^0.5)

where R , @ , h are respectively the range as it reaches the ground , launch angle and initial height

I then took a derivative w.r.t. @ and set dR/d@ =0 , and obtained the following equation:

vsin^2(@)+ksin(@)=vcos^2(@)+(v^2sin(@)cos^2(@))/k

where k=((vsin(@))^2+2gh)^0.5

I'm quite certain that I got everything right as when h=0 , the equation reduces to tan(@)^2=1 and immediately yields @=pi/4

but with a non-zero 'h' I fail to see how I can solve for @ in terms of the parameters via normal algebraic methods..

How else can I work on it ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2014 #2
    I tried that a bit differently, and obtained the following: $$ R \propto \alpha \left(\beta + \sqrt {\beta^2 + K} \right),$$ where $$ K = {2gh \over v^2} $$ and ##\alpha, \beta## are the cosine and sine of the launch angle, because of which we have $$ \alpha^2 + \beta^2 = 1. $$ Using Lagrange's multiplier method, let $$ F(\alpha, \beta, \lambda) = \alpha \left(\beta + \sqrt {\beta^2 + K} \right) + \lambda \left(\alpha^2 + \beta^2 - 1\right) .$$ Then $$ {\partial F \over \partial \alpha} = \left(\beta + \sqrt {\beta^2 + K} \right) + 2 \lambda \alpha = 0, $$ $$ {\partial F \over \partial \beta} = \alpha \left(1 + {\beta \over \sqrt {\beta^2 + K} } \right) + 2 \lambda \beta = 0. $$ The latter two equations yield $$ 2 \lambda \alpha^2 = 2 \lambda \beta \sqrt {\beta^2 + K}, $$ which, combined with ## \alpha^2 + \beta^2 = 1 ##, results in $$ 1 - \beta^2 = \beta \sqrt {\beta^2 + K}. $$ Subsequent steps should be trivial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook