Using Newton's 2nd to find optimal launch angle

In summary, the conversation discusses a computer programming project that involves using Newton's second law to find an equation for the maximum distance traveled by an object launched off a cliff at a known height and initial velocity. The equation was derived through kinematics and the question arises about deriving it through Newton's second law. The expert explains that in this case, gravity is the only force considered and therefore, the equation simplifies to just acceleration due to gravity. In more complex scenarios involving other forces, Newton's second law is necessary to find the net force and acceleration.
Boatman(J)
Hello. In one of my engineering classes we are doing a computer programming project that requires us to use Newton's second law to find an equation that that would give us the max distance traveled by an object launched off a cliff at a known height of H and an initial velocity of Vo. Then with that equation we would use MATLAB's fzero function to determine the optimal angle from that equation, which would then allow us to find the max distance traveled at the angle.
The equation I found was:
x=(Vo)((sqrt((Vosin(Θ))^2-2g(-H))-Vosin(Θ))/g
This was found through kinematics opposed to Newton's Second Law, so I wanted to know how I would go out deriving the equation above (if it were right) through Newton's Second Law of motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
kinematics is Newton's laws, so I don't see the problem here. The second law by itself isn't enough; you need the first and third law, too, and then you have kinematics.

Likes Boatman(J)
Boatman(J) said:
This was found through kinematics opposed to Newton's Second Law, so I wanted to know how I would go out deriving the equation above (if it were right) through Newton's Second Law of motion?
It looks like gravity is the only force considered there. And gravity simply accelerates everything by g, which ends up in your equation. You can express it as force of gravity mg accelerating a mass m, but then the m's cancel out and you are left with g again.

In a less trivial example that considers the aerodynamic drag, you will need Newtons 2nd, because you have to combine different forces to net force to get the acceleration.

Likes Boatman(J)

1. What is Newton's 2nd law and how does it relate to finding optimal launch angle?

Newton's 2nd law states that the force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of finding optimal launch angle, this law can be applied to determine the ideal angle at which an object should be launched based on its mass and the force acting upon it.

2. How does the launch angle affect the trajectory of an object?

The launch angle directly affects the trajectory of an object by determining the initial direction and angle of its motion. A higher launch angle will result in a higher arc and longer flight time, while a lower launch angle will result in a flatter trajectory with a shorter flight time.

3. What factors besides the launch angle should be considered when using Newton's 2nd law to find optimal launch angle?

In addition to the launch angle, the initial velocity and the force acting upon the object should also be taken into consideration. These factors, along with the object's mass, will determine the acceleration and ultimately the optimal launch angle.

4. Can Newton's 2nd law be used to find optimal launch angle for any object?

Yes, Newton's 2nd law can be applied to any object as long as its mass and the force acting upon it are known. However, the optimal launch angle may vary depending on the specific properties of the object, such as its shape and air resistance.

5. Is it necessary to use Newton's 2nd law to find optimal launch angle, or are there other methods?

While Newton's 2nd law is a widely used and reliable method for finding optimal launch angle, there are other methods that can be used such as mathematical models and simulations. However, these methods may not always provide the most accurate results and may require more complex calculations.