1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the orthonormal basis for cosine function

1. Mar 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    si(t) = √(((2*E)/T)*cos(2*π*fc*t + i*(π/4))) for 0≤t≤T and 0 otherwise. Where i = 1, 2, 3, 4 and fc = nc/T, for some fixed integer nc.
    What is the dimensionality, N, of the space spanned by this set of signal? Find a set of orthonormal basis functions to represent this set of signals. Plot the locations of si(t) (i = 1, 2, 3, 4) in the signal space.

2. The attempt at a solution
    Dimensionality N = 4.
    I know how to find the orthonormal basis functions for square waves, because so far we were just given square waves. We used the Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization procedure. My question is how do I find it when the function is a sine wave?

Just looking for some directions. :)

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is ##\cos(\alpha + {\pi\over 4})##, what is ##\cos(\alpha + {\pi\over 2})##, ##\cos(\alpha + {3\pi\over 4})## and ##\cos(\alpha + \pi)## when evaluated ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted