• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding the particular anti derivative when given f'(x) and TWO f(value)s

• Thread starter skyturnred
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Here is the question directly from the book:

f'(x)=x^(-1/3), f(1)=1, f(-1)=-1, find f(x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So there are about ten of these types, and I am very confused. I am confused because if you solve for f(x) with f(a) you get a different value for c than if you solved for f(b).

So finding f(x) I get f(x)=(3/2)x^(2/3) + c
If I make f(x)=1 and x=1, I get the value of c to be -1/2
But if I make f(x)=-1 and x=-1, I get the value of c to be -5/2..

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Answers and Replies

Notice that f(0) is not defined. So you actually have two branches. So your function can be described as

[tex]f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{c}(3/2)x^{2/3} + c_1 ~\text{if}~x>0\\ (3/2)x^{2/3} + c_2 ~\text{if}~x<0 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

Notice that f(0) is not defined. So you actually have two branches. So your function can be described as

f(x)={(3/2)x2/3+c1 if x>0(3/2)x2/3+c2 if x<0
So whenever f'(0)=DNE, the function f(x) can be written as a piecewise function?

So whenever f'(0)=DNE, the function f(x) can be written as a piecewise function?
Indeed!!

Do notice that you proved that the anti-derivative of a function is unique up to a constant. But you only proved that for functions that exists everywhere on an interval. If a function does not exist in a point, then the result isn't true anymore!!

Indeed!!

Do notice that you proved that the anti-derivative of a function is unique up to a constant. But you only proved that for functions that exists everywhere on an interval. If a function does not exist in a point, then the result isn't true anymore!!
OK, thanks again! You helped tremendously.