1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the phase angle of current through a capacitor?

Tags:
  1. Apr 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the current in the capacitor shown in the figure below if the voltage input is V(t) = 29cos(377t-30) V, C = 1 micro Farad

2. Relevant equations
    i = C dv/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

I essentially differntiate V(t) and multiply by 1 * 10^-6. I then get a negative amplitude, so I add 180 degrees to the phase angle to get a positive amplitude,

i = 1*10^-6*29*377 * (-sin(377t - 30) = 0.0109sin(377t + 150)

What is the phase angle? The correct answer is 60 degrees. I'm confused about how to get this. I'm getting 150 degrees.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2015 #2

Delta²

Gold Member

You should convert the current equation to cosine form using familira trigonometric identities.

4. Apr 15, 2015 #3
    Does it always have to be converted to cosine?

If I convert it to cosine, the phase angle changes from 150 to 240

5. Apr 15, 2015 #4

Delta²

Gold Member

Current and Voltage have to be both in sine or cosine (and with the same sign of amplitude) to be able to discuss about the phase angle.

You ve made a mistake in the conversion, it is sin(x)=cos (x-90)=-cos (x+90).

6. Apr 16, 2015 #5
    I have sin(x+150) in my above equation. I want to convert it to cosine
    EDIT: I seem to have some confusion.

IN my book it says cos(x) = sin(x+90) (just as you said).

This means if I want to convert to cosine from sin,

cos(x+60) = sin(x+60+90)

7. Apr 16, 2015 #6

Delta²

Gold Member

You are correct now, so it will be cos (x+60)=sin(x+150), (x=377t), there you got a phase angle of 60, THOUGH when we talk about phase angle we usually mean the phase difference between voltage and current which is 90 in this case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted