Finding the point where the net electric field is zero

In summary, the question was asking where the point would be where the total electric field is zero, assuming there is a +3 charge and a -1 charge at a distance from one another. The solution was to measure the distance between the charges and to find that the point P is located between the two charges, relative to the distance between the charges.
rakeru

Homework Statement

The question wasn't really written down. It was a question asked after an explanation, and it really wasn't straightforward. I'm going to try to make it into a intelligible thing.

If there is a +3 charge and a -1 charge at a distance from one another, where to the right of these two charges would there be a point where the total electric field is zero?
+3 ---------- -1 ----------- P

Homework Equations

E=Qk/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I did the right things but this is what I did:

I named the distance from +3 to P r1 and the distance from -1 to P r2.
If the total electric field must be zero, then I think that the electric field due to +3 must be equal but opposite to the one due to -1. Maybe?
So I put it like this:

E1=-E2
Q1K/r1^2 = -Q2K/r2^2
I canceled out the K.
And for Q1 I put the +3 charge. For Q2 I put the -1 charge.

(r2^2)*3=r1^2
r2=√(r1^2/3)
The question didn't ask from where would the distance be measured, so I picked from the -1 charge.
Would this be right?? Is Q only the magnitude?? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it is the correct way. And you are always allowed to chose your coordinate system as you wish, it wouldn't change the result.

You could even go further, and simplify it, by saying the charges are a distance, d from each other, and that the distance from the -1 charge to P is r, then you have

3/(r+d)^2 = 1/r^2

Then you can solve it, and find, where the point P is relative to the distance between the two charges.

hjelmgart said:
Yes it is the correct way. And you are always allowed to chose your coordinate system as you wish, it wouldn't change the result.

You could even go further, and simplify it, by saying the charges are a distance, d from each other, and that the distance from the -1 charge to P is r, then you have

3/(r+d)^2 = 1/r^2

Then you can solve it, and find, where the point P is relative to the distance between the two charges.

Oh, okay! Thank you very much! :)

1. What is the concept of finding the point where the net electric field is zero?

Finding the point where the net electric field is zero involves determining the location in space where the combined electric fields from multiple sources cancel out, resulting in a net electric field of zero.

2. Why is it important to find the point where the net electric field is zero?

This point is important because it represents a location where the electric field is not exerting any force or influence, making it a potential location for a stable equilibrium or a neutral point.

3. How is the point where the net electric field is zero calculated?

The point where the net electric field is zero can be calculated by using vector addition to determine the direction and magnitude of the electric fields from each source, and then finding the point where they cancel out.

4. Can the point where the net electric field is zero change?

Yes, the point where the net electric field is zero can change depending on the positions and magnitudes of the electric sources. It can also change if the electric sources are moved or if new electric sources are added.

5. How does finding the point where the net electric field is zero relate to electric potential?

The point where the net electric field is zero is also known as the point of electric potential, where the electric potential energy is at a minimum. This is because at this point, there is no movement or work being done by the electric field.