1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the probability to find a particle in a well

1. Nov 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is in the n = 1 state of an infinite square well of size L. T. What is the probability to find the particle in the region Δx = 0.007L at the point x = L/2? 3L/4? (Since Δx is small you don't need to do any integration)
    2. Relevant equations
    ψ = Δxf(x)
    Δx = 0.007L
    f(x) = sin2(nπx/L)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I can do the integral but I can't do this without doing the integral. I plugged in L/2 for Δx and x = L/2 for f(x) = sin2(nπx/L). This gave me the correct answer for L/2. But now I am trying to do 3L/4 and when I use the same method I get the wrong answer. I know the RIGHT answer is 0.007 for 3L/4 because of the nature of sine and a drawing of the wave-function in the well. I need to know how to properly do this mathematically- what am I doing wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show more detail of your work for x = 3L/4? Make sure that you are using the normalized wavefunction for the ground state.

4. Nov 9, 2016 #3
    I've figured it out - thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted