1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the radius of a pendulum

1. Oct 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A monkey is swinging a coconut of 1 k in a pendulum like motion. When the monkey's motion is at the bottom of its swing it is .6 m above the ground. He releases the coconut when it it is in this position when the force is 250 N and it travels 10 meters before hitting the ground. What is the length of the monkey's arm?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So first is to find the velocity of the coconut, which I need to find the time of flight first. -0.6m=-.5(9.81(t^2) and got t to equal .350 seconds. To find the velocity used 10m=V(.350) with V=28.57m/s.

250N=1kg*(28.57^2/r)
    r=3.27m
    So the monkey's arm is 3.27 m long?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your solution is correct, (edit: if 250 N is the net force acting on the coconut). It must be a giant monkey:smile:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  4. Oct 18, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I make it even longer. I assume the 250N is the tension in the monkey's arm at the point of release. What are all the forces acting on the coconut at that point?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted