Finding the radius of a pendulum

In summary: There is the weight of the coconut (1kg) and the tension in the string (250 N). There is also the centrifugal force acting on the coconut (250 N*9.81 m/s^2). The net force on the coconut is the vector sum of these three forces: 250 N+1kg*9.81 m/s^2+250 N*0.6 m/s^2=375 N. The total length of the monkey's arm is therefore 495.6 cm.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

A monkey is swinging a coconut of 1 k in a pendulum like motion. When the monkey's motion is at the bottom of its swing it is .6 m above the ground. He releases the coconut when it it is in this position when the force is 250 N and it travels 10 meters before hitting the ground. What is the length of the monkey's arm?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So first is to find the velocity of the coconut, which I need to find the time of flight first. -0.6m=-.5(9.81(t^2) and got t to equal .350 seconds. To find the velocity used 10m=V(.350) with V=28.57m/s.

250N=1kg*(28.57^2/r)
r=3.27m
So the monkey's arm is 3.27 m long?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jrlinton said:

Homework Statement

A monkey is swinging a coconut of 1 k in a pendulum like motion. When the monkey's motion is at the bottom of its swing it is .6 m above the ground. He releases the coconut when it it is in this position when the force is 250 N and it travels 10 meters before hitting the ground. What is the length of the monkey's arm?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So first is to find the velocity of the coconut, which I need to find the time of flight first. -0.6m=-.5(9.81(t^2) and got t to equal .350 seconds. To find the velocity used 10m=V(.350) with V=28.57m/s.

250N=1kg*(28.57^2/r)
r=3.27m
So the monkey's arm is 3.27 m long?
Your solution is correct, (edit: if 250 N is the net force acting on the coconut). It must be a giant monkey:smile:

Last edited:
Jrlinton said:
the monkey's arm is 3.27 m long?
I make it even longer. I assume the 250N is the tension in the monkey's arm at the point of release. What are all the forces acting on the coconut at that point?

1. How can I calculate the radius of a pendulum?

The radius of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula: r = (T^2 * g) / (4 * π^2), where T is the period of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for one full swing, or one complete cycle, of the pendulum.

3. How do I measure the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum can be measured by using a stopwatch to time how long it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. This should be repeated multiple times and the average time can be used in the calculation of the radius.

4. Can the radius of a pendulum affect its period?

Yes, the radius of a pendulum can affect its period. A longer radius will result in a longer period, while a shorter radius will result in a shorter period.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring the radius of a pendulum?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring the radius of a pendulum. These include air resistance, friction, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. It is important to minimize these factors in order to obtain a more precise measurement of the radius.