Finding the Ratio of Initial Speed and Angular Speed for a Struck Snooker Ball

  • Thread starter Thread starter JazzCarrot
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
JazzCarrot
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
So, we're playing snooker...

Homework Statement



A (uniform) snooker ball of radius r, at rest on a table, is struck by a cue at a point a distance h above the table. Assume the cue tip is traveling horizontally, in a plane through the centre of the ball. As a result, the ball begins to move with an initial linear speed V0 and angular speed w0.

Consider the cue as acting with a large force F for a short time. Ignoring the effects of friction between the ball and the table for this time, find an expression for the ratio V0/w0 in terms of h.

Homework Equations



Once I've sussed the question, I can identify which.

The Attempt at a Solution



Well, I'm confused due to the sentence; "Assume the cue tip is traveling horizontally, in a plane through the centre of the ball". This to me means, that h = r? Therefore, if friction is to be ignored this time, the ball will not (initially) rotate?

If someone could clear this up, I'm sure I can crack on with the next few parts of the question.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


JazzCarrot said:
Well, I'm confused due to the sentence; "Assume the cue tip is traveling horizontally, in a plane through the centre of the ball". This to me means, that h = r? Therefore, if friction is to be ignored this time, the ball will not (initially) rotate?
I suspect that it's just a sloppily worded problem, and that the 'in a plane through the center of the ball' should be ignored. (Otherwise your interpretation is correct, but then the problem makes little sense.)

(This isn't from some textbook, I hope. If it is, give a reference.)
 


I would assume it means in a vertical plane through the centre of the ball. In other words, you are not putting any side spin on it.
 


Stonebridge said:
I would assume it means in a vertical plane through the centre of the ball. In other words, you are not putting any side spin on it.
Excellent. That's it.
 


I suspect that it's just a sloppily worded problem

Probably, my Mechanics Lecturer isn't the greatest at writing them.

I would assume it means in a vertical plane through the centre of the ball. In other words, you are not putting any side spin on it.

Awesome, I'll try it like that. Thanks!