Finding the ratios of diatomic, monatomic and ionized hydrogen

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of diatomic molecules existing in a clump of gas in space and how to find their ratio. It is mentioned that hydrogen gas at room temperature on Earth is diatomic and can transition into different states. The use of Boltzmann distribution to find the ratios of monatomic hydrogen in different excited states is also brought up. The question of whether this equation can be used to find the ratio of diatomic ground state molecules to monatomic ground state molecules is raised. The conversation concludes by mentioning the importance of considering ionization and dissociation when calculating the ratio.
omoplata
Hi,

Would a clump of gas in space have some diatomic molecules in it as well? If it does, how do we find the ratio?

I know that hydrogen gas at room temperature on Earth is diatomic. So I guess the state of the gas molecules change like this.

Diatomic molecules -> Monatomic ground state -> Monatomic first excited -> ... so on until ionization.

Or do diatomic states have their own excited states as electrons go on to higher and higher energy levels?

I know that in a gas in thermal equilibrium, the ratio of two populations is given by Boltzmann distribution: [itex]\frac{n_j}{n_i} = \frac{g_j}{g_i} e^{-[(E_j-E_i)/kT]}[/itex]
I also know that I can use this equation to find the ratios of monatomic hydrogen in different excited states. For example, the ratio of hydrogen in ground state to the first excited state.
Can I use it to find the ratio of diatomic ground state molecules to monatomic ground state molecules as well? I guess all I have to do is just put in the corresponding energy values?

Please write down your thoughts.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you also have to consider the fact that ionization and dissociation increases the entropy of the system because there are more particles. The Saha equation gives the ratio between ionization levels of some element, or the level of dissociation of a molecule (which is a very similar problem).

If you search for "saha equation molecular hydrogen" you will find a bunch of answers.

1. What is the ratio of diatomic to monatomic hydrogen?

The ratio of diatomic to monatomic hydrogen is approximately 3:1 in a gas mixture at room temperature. This means that for every three molecules of diatomic hydrogen, there is one molecule of monatomic hydrogen.

2. How does the ratio of ionized hydrogen differ from diatomic and monatomic hydrogen?

The ratio of ionized hydrogen is much lower compared to diatomic and monatomic hydrogen. This is because ionized hydrogen is a result of the separation of electrons from hydrogen atoms, creating positively charged ions. The ratio of ionized hydrogen depends on the energy and conditions of the gas mixture.

3. Why is it important to find the ratios of diatomic, monatomic, and ionized hydrogen?

Knowing the ratios of these different forms of hydrogen is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of hydrogen gas. It can also provide insights into the conditions and processes that lead to the formation of these different forms.

4. How do scientists determine the ratios of diatomic, monatomic, and ionized hydrogen?

Scientists can determine these ratios through various experimental methods such as spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the light emitted or absorbed by the different forms of hydrogen. They can also use theoretical calculations and models based on the properties of hydrogen and the conditions of the gas mixture.

5. Can the ratios of diatomic, monatomic, and ionized hydrogen change?

Yes, these ratios can change depending on the conditions of the gas mixture. For example, increasing the temperature or pressure can lead to more ionization of hydrogen, thus altering the ratios. Additionally, the ratios can also be affected by external factors such as the presence of other gases or the use of energy sources.