1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Resultant by adding vectors. HELP

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    Finding the Resultant by adding vectors. HELP!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Two forces act on an object. ONe has a magnitude of 166 newtons and points at an angle of 60 degrees above the + X axis. The secon dhas a magnitude of 284 newtons and points at an angle of 30 above the + X axis. A third force is applied and balances to zero effects of the other two. What are the magnitude and direction of this third force? Specify the direction relative to the negative x axis.

I'm ocnfused with this problem also...xD
    2. What are the x and y components of the vector that must be added to the following three vectors so that the sum of hte four vectors is 0. Due east is the +x direction and due north is the +y direction.
    A=133 units, 60 degrees south of west
    B= 222 units, 35 degrees south of east
    C= 177 units, 23 degrees north of east

2. Relevant equations
    I am not really sure how to set up these two problems. I know what the variables and stuff are but what exactly am I looking for?....Plus, in problem number two, I don't understand the bolded statement.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Problem 1) A=166 Angle A= 60 degrees B=284 newtons Angle B=30.

Two forces act on an object. ONe has a magnitude of 166 newtons and points at an angle of 60 degrees above the + X axis. The secon dhas a magnitude of 284 newtons and points at an angle of 30 above the + X axis. A third force is applied and balances to zero effects of the other two. What are the magnitude and direction of this third force? Specify the direction relative to the negative x axis.

Problem 2) A=133 units, 240 degrees
    B= 222 units, 325 degrees
    C= 177 units, 23 degrees

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2
    Re: Finding the Resultant by adding vectors. HELP!!

Well there are a few ways you can solve this. It depends on how you want to. First, why dont you try to find the net force applied on the object... you can go about it a few ways. 1.) breaking the vectors into their X and Y components using trig and then adding them all up and see what the final net force would be and which direction it is in (keeping in mind that tan(angle)=Fy/Fx. or 2.) to once again find the total force on the object do... (Magnitude of vector)<cos(angle),sin(angle)>. then add them all up, and youll get a final force in the form of <x,y>. Find the magnitude by sqrt(x^2+y^2). to get total mag. Once again, tan(angle)=Fy/Fx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?