Finding the right electrical connector.

• Thread starter Thqr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, the speaker is looking for affordable and specific electrical connectors for their scanning tunneling microscope. They need a mated pair of 8-contact multi-pin connectors that can operate in a vacuum of 50mtorr and work with a temperature-controller at 10.5V for under $250. They do not want to purchase from Fischer and have had trouble finding suitable options. They are open to alternative solutions, such as feed-thrus or connectors with fewer than 8 contacts.
Thqr
Hey guys, I've been trying to find the right electrical connectors for my labs scanning tunneling microscope. Problem I've been having is that the connectors I find are either too pricey or not to the right specs. I need a mated pair, 8-contact multi-pin for mounting on a flange, that will operate in vacuum of 50mtorr, for a temperature-controller operating at 10.5V, all for under 250$ max, other specs are irrelevant. The current connector I have are fischer and I will tell you that I am NOT interested in getting another from them. I've looked at a few companies but I've gotten really tired of browsing through catalogs for hours, getting put on hold, getting inadequate customer support, and then waiting half a week for price quotes that are to high. If anyone knows of a good company for a mid quality connector like this please let me know.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you can't afford the connector then how about using a different way through into the vacuum chamber? Are there simple simple feed-thru's that can handle the pressure difference? Your connector could be working at atmospheric pressure. Or perhaps there are simple coax connectors or connectors with fewer than 8 contacts.

1. What are the different types of electrical connectors?

There are several types of electrical connectors, including circular, rectangular, coaxial, and blade connectors. These can be further classified based on their specific design and usage.

2. How do I choose the right electrical connector for my project?

The right electrical connector depends on several factors such as the type and size of wire, voltage and current requirements, environmental conditions, and the intended application. Careful consideration of these factors is necessary to select the most appropriate connector.

3. What is the difference between a male and female connector?

A male connector has pins or prongs that insert into a female connector, which has corresponding slots or holes. This allows for a secure and reliable connection between two devices.

4. Can I mix and match different types of connectors?

It is not recommended to mix and match different types of connectors as they are designed for specific purposes and may not be compatible with each other. This could result in a faulty connection or even damage to the devices.

5. How do I ensure a proper and secure connection with an electrical connector?

To ensure a proper and secure connection, it is important to carefully read and follow the manufacturer's instructions. Inspect the connector and wire for any damage or debris and make sure they are clean before connecting. Use the appropriate tools and techniques to crimp or solder the connector, and test the connection for continuity and resistance.