Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the right electrical connector.

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, I've been trying to find the right electrical connectors for my labs scanning tunneling microscope. Problem I've been having is that the connectors I find are either too pricey or not to the right specs. I need a mated pair, 8-contact multi-pin for mounting on a flange, that will operate in vacuum of 50mtorr, for a temperature-controller operating at 10.5V, all for under 250$ max, other specs are irrelevant. The current connector I have are fischer and I will tell you that I am NOT interested in getting another from them. I've looked at a few companies but I've gotten really tired of browsing through catalogs for hours, getting put on hold, getting inadequate customer support, and then waiting half a week for price quotes that are to high. If anyone knows of a good company for a mid quality connector like this please let me know.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you can't afford the connector then how about using a different way through into the vacuum chamber? Are there simple simple feed-thru's that can handle the pressure difference? Your connector could be working at atmospheric pressure. Or perhaps there are simple coax connectors or connectors with fewer than 8 contacts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook