Finding the speed of the cylinder's point of mass

In summary, speed is the rate at which an object is moving, measured in distance per unit of time. It is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. Velocity, on the other hand, takes into account the direction of an object's movement and is calculated by dividing the displacement by the time it took to travel that distance. The speed of a cylinder's point of mass can be found by measuring the distance and time it takes to travel, and can be affected by factors such as the shape, size, surface, and external forces acting upon the cylinder.
Alif Yasa
Homework Statement
In the picture
Relevant Equations
Force Equilibrium and Torque Equilibrium

I already got the answer for the case a
but at the case b, i don't know how to sum all of the torques.
I'm thinking of using integral, but i don't know where to put the pivot point for the torque.
I don't know how to search for the pivot point.
Can anybody give me hints so i could find the pivot point ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alif Yasa said:
I'm thinking of using integral, but i don't know where to put the pivot point for the torque.
take cylinder's center of mass for a pivot point for example

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the speed of the cylinder's point of mass?

The formula for finding the speed of the cylinder's point of mass is v = ωr, where v is the linear speed, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

2. How do you calculate the angular velocity of a cylinder?

The angular velocity of a cylinder can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear speed by the radius of the cylinder.

3. What is the difference between linear speed and angular velocity?

Linear speed is the rate at which an object travels in a straight line, while angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point. Linear speed is measured in units of distance per time, while angular velocity is measured in units of radians per time.

4. How does the mass of the cylinder affect its speed?

The mass of the cylinder does not directly affect its speed. However, a heavier cylinder may require more force to reach a certain speed, and therefore may have a slower acceleration compared to a lighter cylinder.

5. Can the speed of the cylinder's point of mass change over time?

Yes, the speed of the cylinder's point of mass can change over time. This can be caused by changes in the angular velocity or changes in the radius of the cylinder. Other factors such as friction and external forces can also affect the speed of the cylinder's point of mass.