Find the equilibrium angle of this unusual driven pendulum geometry

In summary, the only torque that can be produced by the weight force acting on the mass is as a result of the angle between the vertical axis and the point of contact of the shaft and hoop.
Alif Yasa
Homework Statement
In Picture
Relevant Equations
Force Equilibrium and Torque Equilibrium

-I tried to draw the forces on the hoop when it is in the equilibrium state. I know there are friction and normal force on the contact point of the shaft and the hoop
-I also put the weight force to the M object
-But when i used the torque equilibrium, where the pivot is the contact point of the shaft and the hoop, the only torque exist is the weight force that is caused by the M object
-I expect I'm missing other forces, but i don't know what is it

Physics news on Phys.org
Alif Yasa said:
when i used the torque equilibrium, where the pivot is the contact point of the shaft and the hoop, the only torque exist is the weight force that is caused by the M object
So what does that tell you about the location of the mass?

I find that the torque by the mass is
T=Mg sin(x) *(R+L)
where x is the equilibrium angle

Alif Yasa said:
I find that the torque by the mass is
T=Mg sin(x) *(R+L)
where x is the equilibrium angle
Your diagram must be wrong. Can you post it?

it is something like this

Alif Yasa said:
it is something like this
View attachment 241436
Ok, but then I do not understand how you got what you did for the torque about the point of contact.
You correctly determined that the weight of the mass is the only force that could have such a torque. So in equilibrium, what does that tell you about the position of the mass in relation to the point of contact?

Oh, so is it like
Mg cos(x)R-Mg sin(x)(R+L)=0
and tan(x) = R/(R+L)

Also, from the force equilibrium, i got
tan(x)=1/u
cos(x)=u/sqrt(1+u^2)

The answer from the book is
x=arcsin((Ru)/((R+L)sqrt(1+u^2))

I can get it if i multiply tan(x) from the torque with cos(x) from the force,
but why it isn't just arctan(1/u) or arctan(R/(R+L)) ?
Do it have to be done that way ?

Alif Yasa said:
Oh, so is it like
Mg cos(x)R-Mg sin(x)(R+L)=0
No.
Call the centre of the hoop C, the point of contact P and the mass M.
You seem to be assuming PCM is a right angle. It need not be.
E.g., without the information that the shaft is rotating, a solution would be that P is at the top of the shaft and the rod is vertical.

Think about the fact that the line of action of the weight is vertically through the mass. Where must it lie in relation to P?

So, if i make the angle between vertical axis and PC is y, and the equilibrium angle x

The net torques are

mg sin(x)(R cos(x+y)+R+L)-mg cos(x)(R sin(x+y)) =0
sin(x)(R+L) = R sin(y)

and from the forces

tan(y)=u
sin(y)=u/sqrt(1+u^2)

then i get
sin(x) = (Ru)/((R+L)sqrt(1+u^2))

Is that correct ?

Alif Yasa said:
So, if i make the angle between vertical axis and PC is y, and the equilibrium angle x

The net torques are

mg sin(x)(R cos(x+y)+R+L)-mg cos(x)(R sin(x+y)) =0
sin(x)(R+L) = R sin(y)

and from the forces

tan(y)=u
sin(y)=u/sqrt(1+u^2)

then i get
sin(x) = (Ru)/((R+L)sqrt(1+u^2))

Is that correct ?
Looks right!
(What I was trying to get you to spot is that the mass must be vertically under P.)

haruspex said:
Looks right!
(What I was trying to get you to spot is that the mass must be vertically under P.)
Thanks !

1. How do you define equilibrium angle in this context?

Equilibrium angle refers to the angle at which the pendulum comes to a stable rest after being set in motion.

2. What is the driving force in this unusual pendulum geometry?

The driving force in this pendulum geometry is typically a motor or external force that continuously pushes or pulls the pendulum, causing it to oscillate.

3. How does the equilibrium angle differ from the amplitude of the pendulum's motion?

The equilibrium angle is the angle at which the pendulum comes to rest, while the amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of the pendulum from its resting position. These two angles may differ depending on the strength and frequency of the driving force.

4. Can the equilibrium angle be calculated using mathematical equations?

Yes, the equilibrium angle can be calculated using a variety of equations, such as the law of conservation of energy or the principle of virtual work. However, the complexity of the equations may vary depending on the specifics of the pendulum's geometry and the driving force.

5. How does the equilibrium angle change if the driving force is altered?

The equilibrium angle will change if the strength or frequency of the driving force is altered. Generally, increasing the strength of the driving force will result in a larger equilibrium angle, while increasing the frequency will result in a smaller equilibrium angle.