Finding the sum of finite terms of a Maclaurin series

In summary, Maple can be used to solve problems involving addition of lots of terms with decimal places.
ohpoonet

Homework Statement

Hi. Find the sum of the first 10 terms in the series:

1, (ln2)/1!, (ln2)^2/2!, (ln^3)/3!...

Homework Equations

I guess the Maclaurin series, which is e^k = 1, k/1!, (k^2)/2!, (k^3)/3!...
In my case, k = ln2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the sum of the first n terms Sn = (u1(r^n -1))/(r-1). However I cannot find r because it is not constant.

I realize if you replace k with ln2, you get e^(ln2) = 2 = 1 + k/1! + (k^2)/2!...So the series approaches 2.

As a last resort I will go caveman style and add up all terms from 0-10. That's a lot of decimals, so if anyone can help, it will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what Maple gives for the writing on the caveman's wall: 0.99999999952832752678

Interestingly close to 1. It also gives a formula for the sum of n terms in terms of an incomplete gamma function with parameter ln(2), which somehow I doubt is what you are looking for.

Haha thanks BUT,

Do you agree that the series approaches 2? after all, e^ln2 is 2. If so how can the first 10 terms add up to 1?

I never heard of Maple until now, it seems like an algebra application. My question is now, did you solve for S of 10? in this case, what did you use for r, the ratio? Or did it simply add up all the terms 'manually'?

Sorry but i don't know about Maple. I will research the gamma function though I do not think its the right direction.

More help will be great. Thanks in advance!

ohpoonet said:
Haha thanks BUT,

Do you agree that the series approaches 2? after all, e^ln2 is 2. If so how can the first 10 terms add up to 1?

I never heard of Maple until now, it seems like an algebra application. My question is now, did you solve for S of 10? in this case, what did you use for r, the ratio? Or did it simply add up all the terms 'manually'?

Sorry but i don't know about Maple. I will research the gamma function though I do not C
More help will be great. Thanks in advance!

e^(ln(2)) may be 2, but your series doesn't start with the first term of the expansion of e^x. The '1' is missing. LCKurtz just added them up using Maple and didn't solve for anything.

ohpoonet said:
Haha thanks BUT,

Sorry but i don't know about Maple.

Maple is a sophisticated and powerful mathematics program with many uses. It has no problem adding up lots of terms keeping many decimal places; that's all I did. As Dick has pointed out, the first term of 1 in the exponential expansion is missing from your series which is why it approximates 1. The fact that it is so close after 10 terms is due to the high rate of convergence caused by the factorial in the denominator.

Many schools have a license agreement for a student version of Maple. You can read about it at:

http://www.maplesoft.com/

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response. I understand now. I actually used MS excel to add up the terms. I also found out that in:

((xLNa)^n)/n!

the graph approaches a^x.

(For example i put x=2 and a=3 and found the sum of the first 9 terms approached 9.)

Just for thought.

Thanks again.

1. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a type of mathematical series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a polynomial function of the input variable.

2. How do you find the sum of finite terms of a Maclaurin series?

To find the sum of finite terms of a Maclaurin series, you can use the Maclaurin series formula, which involves taking the derivative of the function and evaluating it at a specific value of the input variable. You can then plug this value into the formula to find the sum of the finite terms.

3. What is the purpose of finding the sum of finite terms of a Maclaurin series?

The purpose of finding the sum of finite terms of a Maclaurin series is to approximate the value of a function at a specific point. This can be useful in situations where the function is difficult to evaluate directly.

4. Can the sum of finite terms of a Maclaurin series accurately represent the original function?

No, the sum of finite terms of a Maclaurin series can only approximate the original function. The accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms used in the series and the value of the input variable.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Maclaurin series to find the sum of finite terms?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a Maclaurin series. The series may not converge for certain functions or values of the input variable, and the accuracy of the approximation decreases as the input variable gets farther away from the center of the series. Additionally, using a large number of terms in the series can be computationally intensive.